site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Dance of the pumpkin seed junkie

Hello. My name is Anne. And I'm a pumpkin seed junkie.

Every year at this time I give a girlish squeal of delight when I walk into my supermarket and see the first batch of pumpkins, fresh from the fields. I already picture them gutted, their precious seeds decorating my baking tray, dripping with olive oil, garlic and salt. That mouthwatering taste as you pull the first one off the tray and place it on your tongue. "Oh, pumpkin seed, I love you," I whisper as I crunch into it, marveling at the texture, taste...and incredibly small size. I must have another. My hand darts out to grab seed two. Crunch, drool. Seed three. Seed four. Seed fivesixseveneightnineten.... No! Where have all the pumpkin seeds gone? I must have more. Here, pumpkin, pumpkin...

In the spirit of pumpkin seed junkie season, is there a special way you bake the seeds, or a spice you use, that sends seed junkies into bliss? I am a fan of garlic, and my seed recipe involves a large coating of olive oil, garlic salt and too many shakes of the rock salt canister. Here's a starter recipe for any aspiring junkies.

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
2. Separate seeds from pumpkin and discard any lingering strings/pulp
3. Wash seeds
4. Coat seeds in olive oil, garlic salt and rock salt (or use what you have on hand -- you can't go wrong with just using butter and salt if you don't feel like experimenting)
5. Spread seeds on a cookie sheet and bake
6. Check the oven after 15-20 minutes to make sure they are coming along. An occasional stir of the seeds does not go amiss. Wait until they are a golden brown color, or until your desired consistency/dryness. 30 minutes should be plenty of time, but random checks and "taste tests" are encouraged.

With October coming to a close I must sit and wait a year for the next dance of the pumpkin seed to begin...

4 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

LOL! The funny things we learn about each other.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

I never have the patience to do this, I just buy the seeds already seasoned. I think the ones I get have chile powder on them. They look kind of red and taste spicy. I do love their particular crispy crunch, though.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I must admit that I'm a pumpkin seed (blush) virgin. Do you crack them open like a sunflower seed, or consume the little critter whole?

Not that I need another food obsession...just curious.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Anne Mallory said...

Consume those critters whole, Karen! :D

Chili powder...nice one, Esri.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]