site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, November 21, 2005

I Miss Reading.

I miss reading.

I remember when these two very driven ladies in my chapter mentioned that they didn't read anymore. I was flabbergasted. How could you be a writer and not read? That would NEVER happen to me.

Another friend sold last year and she stopped reading, too. No time.

Now it's happened to me. I had three novels requested in two weeks. Every one needed work. (I know, cry for me.) So for the past three months, I've read two books. Two. One, two.

Okay, they were long books. And detailed. But TWO. Most of my time is on the computer, and my reward for being on the computer is DVDs. (I have a Blockbuster one on the counter, Tilt, with my new boyfriend Eddie Cibrian.)

Here's the bad thing - in the time it took me to read two books, I've gotten about 20 new books. And all of them are calling to be read, a ton of Bombshells, a bunch of Noodler books, some books by my autobuys, Catherine Mann, Karen Templeton, Virginia Kantra, Karen Robards. So many that I don't know which I will choose first when I get the chance.

I swear – I SWEAR when these Golden Heart entries are out of here, I’m taking off till January and just reading. Okay, some movies, too, but no writing. Maybe Christmas cards. And blog entries. But mostly reading.

That’s the thing that’s been hardest to give up.

8 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger MicheleKS said...

My reading's gone down a lot in the last couple of years but not just due to the writing. But now that I've got time to read at work (I know, I know...) I'll probably start catching up.

For me, I've gotten a lot tougher on books and when I pick up one I can't get through I'm a tad hesitant to pick up another one. But when I find one I love, I'll go out and find that author's backlist or put them on my auto-buy list.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be hard :(

Sounds like you have a great plan for when the GH entries are out the door. Happy reading, Mary :)

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

You read two books??? Wow. Where did you find the time! I'm lucky to be reading any. I tell my friends that I'm the world's worst read romance writer. And you, my dear, are no competition for that title!
Diane

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I'm a lot harder on books, too, mostly because my TBR pile is threatening to topple and injure one of my cats. But I've gone nuts for Bombshells, and I have still some of Nora's backlist, Linda Howard's, Catherine Mann's....


Diane, really? I have to read before I go to bed - one of my favorite things about being off this week is that I can nap, and I read before that, too. Love it. Do you still buy books, or did you stop?

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Just to update - I got 5 books in the mail today.

Sigh.

It's a sickness.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I know the feeling. And good for you for taking December off. You deserve it. Read, enjoy time with your family, enjoy the holidays, just recharge so you're raring to get back to work in January.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Anne Mallory said...

I feel the same way. I miss sitting on the couch and reading books so much. It's just that I feel incredibly guilty about it now...like I should be writing instead. I told myself a few weeks ago that the last two weeks in December were off limits to writing to give me a free go-ahead to read as much as I want. :)

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Good to know I'm not alone! Of course, got more edits today from my agent..... (I know, I know, cue the violins!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]