site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Are you finished?

by Colleen Gleason

Okay, I'm going to make this short and sweet...'cause we've all got so much to do, I don't want to keep you from it!

So, who's finished with your holiday shopping? Who did it all online? Who braved the stores the day after Thanksgiving to find the best bargains?

Who hasn't got a clue what to buy for half the people on your list???

For me, it's not so much doing the shopping...it's what to buy. So, I put together a list of ideas for various people on your list--all for under $20!

And for those of you who are too busy to click over to the WNP site to read the list (ahem), here are a couple freebies for you....

  • Buy a website for someone you love! Or at least, register the domain name and put up a basic site. This is a great gift for a teen in particular. The cheapest place I know of to register a domain name is GoDaddy. They also have freebie website building software, so you can do a temporary site. ($6.99 for the domain name + your time and effort)
  • Okay, how about a candle? I know it sounds boring, but I'll tell you...some of those candles at Illuminations and White Barn Candle Co are fabulous! And pricey! I don't buy them for myself, but I would love it if someone else did! (hint, hint!)
So now I'm fresh out of ideas...anyone? What's your best gift idea for under $30?

Colleen, who's off to spend last year's massage therapy gift card...and do some more shopping!

5 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Colleen - buying someone a webstie is an AWESOME idea!!!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Stef, that site is hilarious. And I agree with Jill, buying the website domain is a really neat idea.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

I think a good gift under $30 is a personally painted mug that you make at a ceramics-painting shop (you can find them all over). It usually costs about $5 is studio fees, around $12 for the plain unpainted mug, and a couple hours of your time. It can be a blast to create -- just bring your favorite latte and a girlfriend or two and you can gab all the way through.

When my cp, Tatia Totorica, finaled in the GH in 2002, I made her a mug that said "Tatia, the Golden Hearted -- Denver, 2002" with a picture of a Golden Heart. On the other side, I painted a book (with the name of her MS.) and some mementos of Denver.

A few weeks ago, I did a mug for my local RWA chapter. We always have a Christmas party and a hotly contested gift exchange -- you know, where a gift can be stolen only 3 times? I put made-up quotes all over the mug that I would dream of someday seeing about me. Quotes like:

"Witty, wonderful, wildly original!" -- Publishers Weekly (starred review)

"Look out, Nora -- there's a new queen in town!" -- Romantic Times (top pick)

The mug got snatched up and fought over, which really was my whole goal. I was a little sad to let it go, but the good news is that Tatia is the one who finally got it!

Jenna

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Ah, but the work of Christmas is *never* finished... however, I did finally put together the teacher gifts; all 20 of them. That's for two kids, mind you.

I just don't like to leave out the secretaries, or the art teacher, or the music teacher, or the gym teacher, or the--stop me, please.

I love the website idea, too!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

I did most of my shopping online, and the rest at the flea market and garage sales. I've made it a personal goal to not enter a mall or department store this Christmas. I've worked extra hard this year to buy gifts that will mean a lot without costing a lot. Each person in the family will get one main gift that will cost over $20, but the rest will be smaller gifts that I've bought on sale for great prices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]