site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Saturday, April 01, 2006

The amazing March challenge

By Trish Milburn

A month ago, I blogged about how the members of the Wet Noodle Posse were embarking on a month-long writing challenge in which we would push ourselves to write at the very least 2 pages a day, hopefully much more. I just did the calculations, and I must say we had some impressive results. Fifteen Noodlers took part, some writing all new pages and others doing a combination of new pages and revisions. Here's the breakdown:

*800 new pages were written!
*The count for those doing new pages and revisions was 1,286 pages!
*The top person for the combo of new and revised pages was Mary Fechter with 485 pages, followed by Priscilla Kissinger with 403.
*The top person with all new pages was me with 183, followed by Maureen Hardegree with 99 and Debra Holland with 93.

The challenge, the idea of Debra Holland, really worked wonders for me. It gave me the kick in the pants to finish a manuscript that had been sitting around one-third of the way completed. I know the daily progress check-ins were an incentive for many others to produce more than usual as well.

So, if you're at a point where you think you could benefit from a month-long challenge, I highly recommend it. Get together with a group of friends and have daily check-ins. Something about that checking in each day propels you to produce even on days when you might normally give in to the "I'm too tired" or "I don't feel like it" excuses. And if you're not a writer? Set up a challenge among friends based on some other task you want to achieve, whether that be consistent exercise, weight loss, reading or home improvements. I suspect at the end of the month, you'll have accomplished more than you ever expected and be riding high on that feeling of accomplishment.

4 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hooray for the WNP! Awesome output. I was pleased to complete a partial, and am on to the next challenge.

Thanks to all the Noodlers for their support.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Whoops, let me try this again. Congrats, Trish and the WNP! That's awesome! I'm so impressed by everyone's accomplishments. Too often it feels like these kinds of challenges (at least the ones I participate in ... hmmm...) just turn into a festival of excuses instead of pages. You know:

"I was going to write, but the weeds in the flower bed were bugging me so I went outside real quick then tripped over a garden hose, had to buy a new one, spent an hour flirting with the guy at Home Depot, came home and realized I'd forgotten to watch Survivor, settled down to write at 10 p.m. after I made myself some tea but realized I was out of Darjeeling, which is absolutely necessary to the mental process, so I went to the store and by the time I got home I was so exhausted I fell into bed but that's okay because the dog ate my laptop anyway. Oh well. I'll write twice as much tomorrow to make up for it!" (And that's the part I actually believe, since zero times two equals zero.)

Anyway ... cheers to Trish and the Wet Noodle Posse winners for believing in WORK instead of excuses!!!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

THANK YOU, Bo Peep, for putting the challenge together. I know you must have spent a lot of time you didn't have keeping track of those pages. You're the best.

And Jenna, LOL on all those excuses. ha! I can see how we could have easily posted are excuses everyday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]