site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Remembering The Passion

This weekend I was at a booksigning and sat next to Mel Odom. Mel is pretty much a legend in the state of Oklahoma, so even though he didn't know me, I knew him. Mel has a VERY impressive list of titles.

The two of us began talking, and I mentioned the struggle trying to balance family stuff, Girl Scouts, PTA, my part time job and the thousand other things I do because I work from home. Writing has become last on my list. What's more, when I find the time to write, it's usually so late at night, I'm tired, or my mind races through all the things I still need to get done.

Mel looked me in the eye and asked me why I wrote.

"Because I love it. I can't imagine doing anything else."

"Then why is it last on your list?"

He's absolutely right. Writing HAS become last on my list. Why is the thing that I enjoy doing most the thing I do when I can squeeze it in between my other things?

I have set myself on a mission to recapture the passion I have for writing. I think subconsciously I'd started. A few weeks ago, my term as Vice-President of PTA ended, and I didn't sign up for another year as an officer, nor did I sign up for a committee.

I have begun to say no. And yes, I did feel really bad about saying no, but I said it anyway. I'm hoping this becomes contagious.

I am also setting up office hours. I had office hours when I taught, and no one dreamed of calling me or asking me to drop what I was doing to run an errand. Writing is my job now - it shouldn't be any different.

Telephone. That's more difficult. It's hard for me to not to answer the phone - the curiosity of who is on the other line... And telling people NOT to call during a certain time doesn't work. A lot of people think they are the exception. So, it just won't be answered. I think I can do this for two hours a day. What's more...I think the people I know can handle not being able to reach me for two hours a day.

I've also written out notes and placed this on my computer. "You LOVE to do this!" "I love to write!" It's true...and there's nothing wrong with doing something I enjoy doing. I hope everyone can find one thing they're passionate about - and are just as passionate about carving out the time to do it.

I'd love to hear some of the tips you have for carving out your own time.

5 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Gena Showalter said...

Wait. I AM the exception. I know it!

Voice recorder. Take it on a walk, while you drive and speak out scenes. It's the best time savor.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I think we all have to remind ourselves of this at times. For some reason, other people don't seem to view our working at home in the same light as working at a "real job". Grr.

I've had to learn to say "no" too, and it's hard. But it's so worth it in the time you gain and the protection of your sanity.

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Jill! I needed it.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

Reminds me of the time I was complaining to a male friend about all the woes of the writing business.

"But I don't understand why you put yourself through all that," he said.

"Sure you do," I replied. "You golf, don't you?"

"Oh."

But I resolved after that to complain less and write more.

Delle

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just reminded me that I need to put writing first. Of course I still need to earn a living and I'm a long long way from providing my daily bread from writing, but I need to cut myself a block of time. thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]