site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The new fall TV season is here

Last month, I blogged about how I think TV gets a bad rap, and this month over at the e-zine our faves listing is all about our favorite current television shows. So, in keeping with the TV theme, here are my thoughts on the new fall TV season now officially in full swing.

New shows:

The first new show I added to my viewing schedule is Men in Trees on Friday nights. I've heard people say that they didn't know if they could watch it because Anne Heche is the lead. Well, I like Anne Heche. I think she's funny and cute in the role of fish-out-of-water relationship expert Marin Frist. Though I didn't watch Sex in the City, I heard Men in Trees described as Sex in the City meets Northern Exposure. Even without having watched Sex in the City, I was hooked by the premise. See, I was a huge Northern Exposure fan and love stories set in Alaska. I've not been disappointed so far, so check it out.

I watched the first episode of Heroes last week because I like shows and movies about superheroes. Always have, always will. This one has a touch of X-Men in that everyday people are experiencing genetic mutations that give them some sort of extra ability. There's the teenage cheerleader whose body regenerates after an injury, the guy who can fly, a funny little Asian guy who can bend time and space, a guy who predicts disasters by painting them, and a few others. I'm interested how the writers are going to develop all the characters' storylines and what impact they all have on the people around them.

I'll probably queue up the first season of Jericho on Netflix whenever it comes out next year. I like Skeet Ulrich and it's an interesting concept, but it's on opposite Bones. Anything on opposite Bones is going to lose on my viewing schedule.

There are other shows I could probably get into, but honestly I don't need anything else to watch.

Returning favorites:

Prison Break -- not as exciting this season, but I think that's because season one inside the prison was so incredibly tense. Still a must-watch for me on Monday nights.

Veronica Mars -- can't wait for the premiere of season two this Tuesday night on the new CW network. If you've not seen this smart, fun, modern Nancy Drew meets Buffy show, get the first season on DVD immediately and then dive into season 2. Two days until Veronica and Logan kissage!

Bones -- storylines still interesting, upped sexual tension, Agent Seeley Booth still hot. Need I say more?

LOST -- The season 3 premiere is this Wednesday. I'm SO glad they changed the time so that it doesn't conflict with Bones. Am eagerly anticipating what's going to happen to Jack, Kate and Sawyer. Who are the Others? What do they want? Are they bad guys or good guys? I need answers, people!

Survivor -- I can't help it. It's the only reality show I really enjoy. Go, Yul!

Supernatural -- LOVE this show. I hadn't watched it until a couple of weeks ago. I'd heard good things so I hurriedly Netflixed it so I could watch the first season before the premiere of season 2 this last Thursday. Couldn't watch it fast enough. And WOW, what a season 2 opener. Sam and Dean are two of the coolest guys on television.

Battlestar Galactica -- The much-anticipated new season starts this upcoming Friday. Don't be fooled by the fact this show is on SciFi. It has some of the best writing on television. And don't think it's like the original from the '70s. It's not. It's intelligent, Starbuck's now a girl (one who can kick some serious butt, by the way), and it's exploring a lot of plot territory not even imagined in the original. Also, there are some webisodes on SciFi.com to prepare you for the new season.

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition -- just feel-good TV. I tear up nearly every week when the much-deserving family sees their new home. I hope this show lasts forever.

So, what returning favorites are you enjoying or anticipating? What new shows have sucked you in?

8 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

I'm hooked on Dancing with the Stars and Project Runway.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watch most of the same shows you do, except for Prison Break and Supernatural. :) I love Jericho, by the way, and record Bones. :)

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jericho more exciting than Bones, I recommend watching Jericho. It's a serial show, so by the time you catch up, all the secrets will be out (who bombed the US, what the red-push pins were about, who is Rob Hawkins, where Jake has been etc.)

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

House. And they've pre-empted it for the next month for the *^#@ world series! I'm so mad I could scream. I hate baseball, hate sports on TV no matter what kind. How dare they take away house? my precious, she says as she loving strokes the television..

Watched Jericho and Heroes. Jericho is totally unrealistic, and that bothers me because we live in a time when people should learn how to take care of themselves in this type of situation, yet the show tells them to put thin plastic over the window and duct tape it down. Fat lot of good that would do. If you're going to do a show like that, get decent actors, good writers who know how to research, and do it right. There's so much that could be done with that show.

Heroes was kind of cute, though it pissed me off because the premise is too close to the book I'm working on.

Still won't miss an episode of CSI and CSI: Criminal Intent, even though both really stretch the boundaries of believability (no, they downright shatter them.) But those two shows are all about the characters for me.

That's it. I don't watch much TV. It cuts into my writing time.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I LURVE Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural. You got me hooked on Prison Break. I taped Heroes and Jericho. I like Standoff, speaking of sexual tension, and Bones, and Lost. I'm looking forward to The Nine. I may even give BSG a turn this season.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

See, I love Bones. I like the sexual tension between Booth and Bones, plus I'm a big David Boreanaz fan since I glommed all the Buffy and Angel episodes over the summer. I'll just make sure I don't read anything about Jericho until the first season comes out on DVD. I downloaded the first episode off iTunes, but something was wrong with it. The video and sound were all off, virtually unwatchable, though I got the gist of what was going on.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Marianne Arkins said...

Eureka is the only show that's held my attention - I love, Love, LOVE it.

I watched Jericho last week, but just couldn't bring myself to care about watching the second episode.

Heroes I'm on the fence about. I'll watch the second episode, but I just don't care about the characters yet, and if I don't care about them, then I don't care about anything else.

I'm one of those Anne Heche haters that couldn't stand watching Men in Trees. Everyone says I'm missing out, but I can't stand to look at the woman. Wished they'd cast someone else. Oh well, it's not like I don't have enough other stuff to watch!

That's it for new shows.

Returning shows that I watch are NCIS and Criminal Minds. And I'm looking forward to the next season of The Closer and American Idol.

Now that I've written it all out, I think I watch too much TV... LOL...

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

I tried commenting the day of your blog, but couldn't get in. Since I'm always of the "better late than never" mentality, here goes my list (way too long) of fav shows.

Gray's Anatomy (I think I'm rooting for Finn, though I'm still on the fence)

Studio 60 on Sunset Strip (love seeing Matthew Perry and the guy who plays his best friend banter-- not to mention that he's a writer)

Brothers and Sisters has been interesting (the family dynamics will be neat to study)

Desperate Housewives (a bit zany, but good for a laugh at the absurd)

Ugly Betty (America Ferraro did a great job in the pilot, and I love the latino family aspect)

Heroes has been interesting in its first two weeks

I used to love Prison Break, but am woefully behind so will plan on getting my fill by renting it on dvd

Men in Trees has been funny so far. Like a good romance writer, I get a kick out of the idea of a city woman, thrown in the wilds of Alaska, in a town filled with men.

Reality tv? Dancing with the Stars (go Emmit!!) and Amazing Race (my hubby and I would kill each other, though it might make for good tv-- grin) Oh, and Project Runway, too. Jeffrey has GOT to go. We're cheering for Michael.

Now that I've listed nearly every tv show on the air, I have to give thanks to Tivo, or, in my case, my cable company has Moxi. I think that sounds better-- I've got Moxi. :-)

Most of my shows are watched at odd times when I'm folding clothes, cooking dinner, in between kid activities/homework or in the middle of the night once I've finished my writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]