site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Only in my dreams

In this month's fun interview with Bridget Stuart, January's featured Noodler, she shares an interesting take on a "dream" vacation: spending time in fictional locales with favorite characters.

Reading a wonderful book or watching a great movie is a bittersweet deal. I want to see how the story wraps up, but I don't want it to end. And after I close the cover or walk out of the theater, the characters live on for a while inside me, flitting around the shadowy corners of my imagination. What if I could spend some quality time with those folks and truly experience the world of my own imagination? Would it be a dream--or might it be a nightmare?

Have you ever fantasized about stepping into the pages of your favorite books or entering the scenes of movies you enjoy? Would you alter the plots? Make friends with your favorite characters? Make a play for the hero?

What fictional tale's ending would you most like to change?

4 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Karen said...

From the first time I read Wuthering Heights I have wanted a different ending--one where Kathy didn't die and Heathcliff didn't go crazy. Despite their bizarre behavior I always liked those characters and wanted them to have a happy ending.

On the other hand, I was glad Romeo and Juliet died. Both of them were TSTL.

Karen

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Though Joss Whedon is brilliant, and he probably ended Buffy and Angel the way he should have been for the shows, I still want to see Buffy and Angel get their happy ending together -- somehow.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Okay, don't tell, but I actually REWROTE the ending to Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen. I read that book, cried my EYES out, turned back to the first page and read it again. But I wasn't happy with the ending, so I wrote my own HEA. Honestly, I felt like I knew those characters so well that I could do that. I never did anything with it, but I sure felt better after writing it!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger bridget said...

This is the basis of all fanfiction, something we've been talking about here at the posse. When people love the characters and the world an author built so much, that they can't let it go.

I wish Tolkein had written up all that material in the appendices of LOTR...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]