site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2007

What do I write next?

Every time I finish a book or get bored with my WIP, I usually ask myself, “What should I write next?” Maybe I should write a YA. They’re shorter and I have a fourteen-year-old daughter living down the hall (great for research). I could write a YA in half the time it would take to write a single title. But maybe…just maybe I should write another medieval time travel. After all, I have already done years of research and my current time-travels do well in contests. No, I think I’ll finish my current single title contemporary because that’s what I love to read and that’s what I love to write.

“Okay, self,” I tell myself. “You LOVE to READ and WRITE single title contemporaries. So write them!”

So then why do I often feel this nagging pull within to write a romantic suspense, or maybe take a stab at writing a small-town story for Superromance, or something for Harlequin American? Writing an intrigue sounds good too. And then I spend a day plotting one of these stories, but ultimately find myself right back where I started…hard at work on one of my many half finished single-title contemporaries.

I have been writing for twelve years. I know what I want to write. So why do these thoughts of writing something “different” keep niggling at my brain? Is this a crazy mental affliction all writers possess? A form of procrastination? A middle-of-the-book syndrome? Help!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Just thought I would comment on my own post. Talking to myself again! LOL

I shouldn't have written that I get "bored" with my WIP, because really, I get "stuck." You know...that feeling of "what the hell comes next?" I probably just answered my own question. I get stuck so my brain starts looking for easier alternatives...like writing a shorter book, which ultimately isn't any easier than the book I'm working on. LOL

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

I was going to comment, but I think I'll just wait to see what Theresa has to say next :-).

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

LOL, Terry! That is soooo great that you have a very cool agent!!! I have a submission in with her so please put in a good word! ha!

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Maybe you're just full of great ideas!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I know how you feel. I jump around quite a bit, but changing sub-genres helps keep me fresh and interested. I don't think I could stick to just one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]