site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, December 19, 2008

Q&A Friday!


For many places around the country, this Friday is the last day of school before winter break. The first few days will most likely go smoothly. However, there comes a time when those dreaded words may escape from your children's lips--I'm bored. So we noodlers would like to pose the question: What tips can you offer for keeping children entertained during the holidays?


Me, you ask? Prior to the big day, I enlist my daughter's help with baking cookies and wrapping presents. We also rent movies that we wanted to see during the year but haven't had time to watch. And my little nuclear family usually goes to my parents' home in Louisiana, where we spend time with family and friends.
P.S. One sure fire way I've found to prevent the "I'm bored" whine is to fire back with "Good, then you can clean _________ (fill in your room, the bathroom, the kitchen, etc.)!"

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Gillian Layne said...

I have used the "then you can clean///" many times!

We go through and decide what needs to be purged and donated over the break. Baking is good, too. And sometimes we go and spend hours at the bookstore, instead of feeling rushed about it.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

When my kids were small, there always seemed so much we had to do that I can't remember them complaining. Or maybe they knew I'd suggest cleaning their rooms. I was a working mom and I never felt I had enough time for my children.

I'm over at Fresh Fiction today and nobody's commenting! I'm blogging about Regency Christmases. Come by so I don't get lonely (or embarrassed)

http://tinyurl.com/4co3xk

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Karen said...

My mother always said, "Go read a book." Any wonder I grew up to be a librarian?

Happy, happy holidays to all!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Dianna Love said...

I admire how you moms manage to do so much this time of year and keep kids entertained. I have fish and some days they test my limits. "g"

Great suggestions. When I was growing up they just ran us outside because we were in Florida so even though "we" thought it was cold - it wasn't that bad.

Kudos to all of you and may the power be with you for the next two weeks.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

My Mom was a big fan of "Oh, you're bored? Well let me come up with something for you to do!"

Of course we were always in Christmas plays, parades and cantatas so I think she wished we didn't have so much to do!

The best part was shopping for Mom's Christmas present with Dad. He's been gone 11 years, but I still have fond memories of the three of us piling in the the car and going shopping with him.

Oh and my Mom always had supplies for us to make our own Christmas cards and she often told us to write our own Christmas stories or songs. She traveled all over the world with three small children so she had to have all sorts of tools in her arsenal to keep us from driving her nuts!

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Christine said...

I have an only child so she learned early on to entertain herself if I am up to my eyeballs in writing or housework or whatevers.

During Christmas, nowadays, we're just so happy not to be busy at all that the time is spent doing a whole lot of hanging around in between gatherings.

Reading, shopping (the benefits of having a girl is having a partner at the mall), watching movies, and playing board games seem to keep us happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]