SPOILING YOURSELF - My top 5 indulgencesBy Norah Wilson
As Diana Love said in her monday post, "If the only person you ever thought about was you, then that would be selfish. On the other hand, if you rarely think of you or dedicate time/money to YOUR happiness then that’s negligent."
Well said, Diana! I couldn't agree more.
I don't tend to take shopping trips or exotic vacations or spa getaways. My indulgences are a little more mundane, but no less nurturing to my soul. And they're available a lot more frequently!
In reverse order, here they are:
5. Watching my beloved Toronto Blue Jays play baseball on TV. Yes, they're on almost every day in the summer, and I used to watch almost every game, which takes on average a 3 hour chunk out of the day. That is not an indulgence, my friends. That's an addiction. I finally found some discipline, and now watch only a few times a week. And it's wonderful!
4. Walking in the woods with my dog. There are more convenient places I could walk, but as nice as the walking paths are in my city, there's nothing like the sights and scents of a woods walk, and a happy dog off its leash. Truly food for the soul.
3. Parking myself at the specialty tea shop for a few hours with my Alphasmart and a lovely Formosa oolong. Pure happiness.
2. Curling up with a great book for an uninterrupted day of reading. Mmmmm, bliss. If great tea is involved, even better.
1. Sneaking off to the movie theatre alone. This is my absolute favorite indulgence! I get to see exactly what I want to see without worrying about anyone else's tastes or preferences. I don't have a running critique from my sister in my ear as I try to watch. I don't have to control my drooling when Daniel Craig heats up the screen. I can completely lose myself in the story and be transported. Pure heaven!
So, what are YOUR top indulgences? What's your number one, no fail, self-nurturing activity? Maybe you'll inspire me to pick up some new ones!