site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Nativity

a poem by Roland A. Browne

I doubt He came to chants of angel choirs,
or that His birth was heralded afar.
We charge the tale as afterthought requires,
convert a feeble candle to a star,
bring Eastern kings to worship at the byre.

More like, some older woman from the inn
sent Joseph to heat water at the fire,
and helped the frightened girl to usher in
the wrinkled, squalling Babe, and tore a clean
old linen sheet to make the swaddling bands;
then, having finished, left the girl serene
and trudged back to her room to wash her hands.

I find the daily miracles of earth
sufficient portents for a Savior's birth.

5 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Judy said...

I remember overhearing a conversation not long ago where the two people were complaining that God simply didn't work many miracles anymore. And all I could think was "What?!" I thought of the roses and lavender blooming in the yard, the babies born every second, the people who find, give, and accept love into their lives, and the indescribable peace of knowing that God is there, no matter what. He has not spared me grief or pain, but He is always there. I've felt alone and lonely, but He is always there. My life turned out nothing like I hoped or dreamed, but He is there. God is with me when I cry and rage and rejoice and laugh. My Savior understands intimately my pain, sorrow, hurts, and infirmities. I have not been called to greatness as those kings and such spoken of in the poem, but I have been asked to bloom where I am planted, no matter how small the garden. Thanks for the reminder, Karen, that what really matters is usually quiet and overlooked by those seeking loftier heights and missing the everyday miracles. Merry Christmas.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

What a lovely poem, Karen!

Judy, I agree with you. If you look, miracles are everywhere. And I love what you said, "I have been asked to bloom where I am planted, no matter how small the garden.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Thank you for the poem, Karen :-). And thank you, Judy, for your wonderful testament :-).

Merry Christmas!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Judy, what beautiful words, and more importantly, thought-provoking. Thank you for sharing them with us.

You're right, maybe my life hasn't turned out how I thought it would back when I was young and fancy-free and naive. But my life is good and I have been blessed.

It's important for us to remember how special we are in our own right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]