site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Top Ten Tips for Writing a Thank You Note


1. Use a high cotton content paper or notecard. Think simple and elegant.

2. Handwrite your thank you. Handwrite the addresses on the envelope, too, rather than use printed address labels.

3. Write a rough draft on scrap paper first.

4. Be specific about what the gift is and why you are thankful. If the gift is a critique, then tell the person who wrote it what specific advice you found helpful and plan to use to improve your writing. If the thank you is for birthday money, tell the giver how you intend to use it.

5. Keep your note succinct. Most thank you note stationary provides an expanse of 4” x 5” in which to express yourself. If you keep the thank you from three to five sentences, you should be okay. Leave enough room for your signature, too!

6. Be sincere in your gratitude. If you don’t plan to wear the sweater Great Aunt Margaret knitted, don’t lie. Thank her for the love and care that went into every stitch.

7. Revise your draft.

8. Proofread for grammar and punctuation errors. Correct them.

9. Pen the final draft on your nice stationary.

10. Don’t wait too long to send your thanks. According to most etiquette gurus, thank you notes should be sent within forty-eight hours. With wedding or graduation gifts, thank you notes can be sent as late as four to six weeks after the event.


What other tips can you add to the list?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Judy said...

These are great. I free admit I'm not very good at this, but then I was never taught, so I've muddled along. This is really helpful, and I'm looking forward to using it.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Merrillee said...

I'm writing thank you notes today, but I have failed to send within 48 hours. I need to get better a quick follow-ups.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Gillian Layne said...

I've had to send thank you's through email when the post office mangles the edges of an envelope or I just can't make out the handwriting. It makes me cringe every time. So I'm all for pre-printed address labels.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Good tips. Not always ones I follow, but good tips. :)

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

I sent a thank-you note to a friend yesterday, but I missed the 48-hour deadline. I think your tip will make me more conscientious about getting my notes sent earlier :-)!

Love that first tip...I'm craving the weight and feel of good notepaper in my hands...

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Ladies,
I don't think I've ever made the 48 hour deadline either. :) Sorry it took me so long to respond to your responses. We had new carpet put down yesterday, and I didn't get the computer plugged in until late last night. I'm in the midst of moving everything back into my office. :)

Judy,
I'm glad this was helpful.

Merrillee,
The fact that you're writing thank yous is great. I wouldn't worry so much about the time frame.

Gillian,
Mangling can be problematic, but there's something so nice about a handwritten envelope IMHO.

Trish,
I don't always follow them either!

Terry,
I love high cotton count stationary. To me, it says elegance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]