site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, December 09, 2005

White Christmas

by Lee McKenzie

In my November 9th blog I mentioned that White Christmas is my favorite holiday movie of all time. I watch it every year. Why do I enjoy this movie so much?

Is it the costumes? I love the dresses with the full skirts and narrow waists worn by Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen. Not that my waist was ever as narrow as Vera-Ellen’s. At least not since I was 10. My favorite dress is the black evening gown that Rosemary Clooney wears to do her solo performance at the nightclub in New York. In my imagination, I look just as stunning as she does in that dress. An imagination is a wonderful thing.

Or is it the sets and backdrops that are so unabashedly fake? In an industry now governed by computerized special effects, it’s refreshing that the simplicity of a cardboard set still works. Okay, it works for me.

Or maybe it’s Irving Berlin’s masterpieces? After all, who doesn’t love the title song? And Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen’s "Sisters" routine? Although I must say, I love Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye’s version even more!

Is it the humor and the love stories? They are so wonderfully heartwarming and innocent. Then there’s the way they help the general. Would somebody please pass the Kleenex?

At the end of two hours you just know it’s going to snow. And it does!

I haven’t watched White Christmas yet this year because when I do, it’ll mean my shopping is done, everything has been wrapped, and the house is completely decorated. I’m almost finished shopping, but I like to take my time with the decorating. So when I finally do settle in for an evening with Bing and Danny and Rosemary and Vera-Ellen, the season truly will be upon me. And just like White Christmas, I know everything will be perfect.

4 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Would you believe I can't remember if I've seen this movie? I've seen A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street and It's a Wonderful Life, but I can't remember this one. Must rent it.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Oh my gosh, Trish, you haven't seen it? Go rent it at once -- and while you're at it, get the first movie that had the "White Christmas" song, Holiday Inn. *LOVE* that movie. They rate with A Christmas Story, in my opinion, although of course they're all very different since they were created so many years apart!

White Christmas has been very influential in my family. Growing up, my mom and her 2 sisters sang the "Sisters" song, so I know that one by heart. And our own family tradition was skiing on Christmas day -- on the drive up the mountain, we'd always goofily chant "Snow ... snow ... snow ... snow SNOW!" just like they do on the train to Vermont.

Just like Stef and Lee, I really like the cheesily delicious end scene. But even better is the moment when the General comes down the stairs in his uniform, and his granddaughter looks up at him and just gets this expression in her eyes ... it makes me tearful every time.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Lee, I LOVE this movie, too. One year (before VCRs) I taped it with my tape recorder. I listened to those tapes all the time. Of course, I missed all the costumes that way - I think it's time for another veiwing!

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen that there is a museum dedicated to Rosemary Clooney and especially White Christmas? It is in Augusta Kentucky, where Clooney lived when she wasn't in LA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]