site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Brand New Year by Trish Milburn

The firecrackers are going off like crazy around the neighborhood, a sign that a new year has dawned. My how time flies. Doesn't it just seem like everyone was freaked out about Y2K?

Today is the day most of us resolve to make changes in our lives. We're going to eat healthier, exercise more, go after that dream we've never chased because life got in the way. We have the best of intentions, but somewhere around Feb. 1, life gets in the way again and those resolutions go the way of the the month of January. And when the next New Year's Eve rolls around, we feel bad because we didn't accomplish what we'd resolved to 12 months earlier and vow to do better in the next year.

I'm here to encourage you to not put it off. If you've made resolutions, stick to them. Write or type them out and post them where you'll see them every single day. Instead of judging how you've fared as the clock ticks toward midnight on Dec. 31, take a hard look at your list on the 1st of each month. Are you accomplishing your goals? If not, ask yourself why and if your answer is a true reason or just an excuse. Resolve all over again to do better and make out resolutions for that month, things that will bring you closer to accomplishing your year-long resolutions.

I suggest this not to stress you out. No, it's so that when the next Dec. 31 rolls around, you look back at the past year and feel an incredible sense of accomplishment. After all, that's what the Wet Noodle Posse is all about -- being good to yourself.

Happy 2006, and I hope you all accomplish your goals and realize your dreams.

2 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

Thanks Trish!

I got a small wall calendar to hang in my office. On each day, I intend to put the appropriate stickers: a star if I've written my quota for the day, a smiley face if I've eaten well (ie, appropriately for my diet), and a third sticker if I've done some kind of exercise.

I also have made a promise to myself to do a better job of keeping in touch with friends and family--two emails or notes per week to people I don't regularly talk to. I'm going to put a little X on Monday of each week that I do that.

That way I can see at a glance how I've done each week, month, etc., and for the year. No pressure. Just a visual way to show my progress.

Colleen, who is signing off so she can put that star sticker on for the day!!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger bridget said...

How lovely, Trish. May your dreams be realized and your resolutions feel like promises...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]