site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Bring it On by Theresa Ragan

For over ten years I have been writing. Seven of those years more seriously than others. I have not sold a book yet. What is going to be my magic number? Thirteen years? Fifteen? My ex-agent wrote for twenty years before she sold a book. I know many authors who took ten years or longer to make a sale. I wish I could go back to the days when my mind didn’t harp on making the sale…the words, “will this be the one?” twirling through my head as I write. It’s no use. I can’t stop thinking of the ultimate prize anymore than I can stop my kids from driving me crazy. It takes blood, sweat and tears to write a darn book with no guarantee that you’ll make the sale when you’re done. I know. I know. I should write for the love of writing, for the love of producing a book I am proud of. Bull Pucky. It’s not working. I want to make that sale. I NEED to make a sale. Will there be more frustrations on the other side AFTER I make the sale? YES! Well, good. Bring it on. I can handle anything those publishers/editors/agents throw at me. I am woman. I am strong. I am a writer.

4 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Ah, Theresa! I can feel your pain. What helped me was conceptualizing that everything I did put me one step closer to being published. Every page I wrote, every rejection I received, every friend who got published first. It really helped to keep me from getting discouraged.
Persistence is the key and some of us must persist longer than others. Never Never Never Give Up (Winston Churchill)
And Diane

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I know how you feel, Theresa. And I like your attitude about after the sale -- Bring it On! :)

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Great combination rant/pep talk!

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Go, Theresa!!!!!

Yeah, I'm in the over-ten-years club, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]