site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Poem

by Jenna Ness

“It’s your job to love me,” the pretty wife said,
“And you’re not doing it right.
You’re supposed to thrill me,
to caress and fulfill me,
and dance with me all through the night, through the night,
to make love to me all day and night.”

“I’m sorry, my dear,” said the young man, surprised,
“To fail you was not my intent.
I buy you chocolates and flowers,
and spend all of my hours
making money to keep you content, pay our rent,
making money to pay for our rent.”

“I don’t care about money,” she replied with a pout,
“Or the nice house or jewelry of mine;
the life you provide
is all on the side
of what’s really important – your time, it’s your time,
your attention, affection and time.”

“I quit my job,” said he with pride the next day,
“And I did it for you, my dove;
I’ve sold the house and the cars
So we can live by the stars
We’ll eat and drink just for our love, just our love,
we’ll live for each other and love.”

“I’ll need a divorce,” she said before winter had passed,
“A poor life just for love has no shine.
Romance without bling?
I’ve found a new king
who shows love with his sweet bottom line, and it’s mine,
he shows love with his hard bottom line.”

4 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

Oh man, that's just too true. :)

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Mmmm....a hard bottom line.

What fun!!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Thanks, Norah! I haven't written a poem in like ten years, so it was really fun to play with the language.

Tori, I was thinking about the unreasonable expectations of women when I wrote this. (Of course, men can have very unreasonable expectations too, but that's a totally different poem!)

Esri -- the last line of this poem about killed me. I spent the last week trying different ideas, everything from: "a hard arrogant platinum mine" to "love’s true glamour is power and it’s mine."

I know poetry isn't exactly what we're supposed to do here, but I figured hey, at least it's short. =)

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

What a fun and different post. I am so not a poet, so I admire anyone who can write poetry. Great job, Jenna.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]