site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Spring into...

By Trish Milburn

While many of us make New Year’s resolutions, I’ve often found it easier to start new projects at the beginning of March. To me, it’s a turning point from the cold winter, when I want to hibernate and consume huge amounts of carbs, to spring, when new life is sprouting out of my flowerbeds and on the limbs of my trees. It just feels like a great time to start a new project, be it daily walks around the neighborhood, mulching those flowerbeds or beginning a new book. It’s also a great month to channel all that spring-inducing energy into seeing how much you can accomplish in one calendar month.

With that in mind, the Wet Noodle Posse is having our own challenge. Today, we’re starting our in-house Spring into Writing month-long challenge where we have to write at least two pages a day and check in with each other nightly to post our progress. Two pages a day isn’t much, but with 31 days in March, we can each end the month with 62 more manuscript pages than we started with. The hope is that once we sit down to write, we’ll go past those two pages and keep writing, producing more pages than that bare minimum. Even if we only wrote 3 pages a day, that’s 99 new pages by the time we turn the calendar to April. For those of us writing books in the 300-page range, that’s a third of a book! That’s my personal goal – 3 pages a day, hopefully more. That will get me through that “muddling middle” of my book that’s always the hardest part to write.

When April 1 rolls around and it’s my day to blog again, I’ll report how we did with our writing challenge. Until then, we challenge you to “spring” into a new goal for this month. Look at those 31 days on the newly-turned-over calendar. What can you accomplish during March? Good luck with whatever you choose to tackle!

5 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

I'm sitting down to the challenge this morning. Thanks for thinking of this, Trish. I can't wait to see my total. I'm hoping for five pages a day. I always aim high.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Debra actually thought of the challenge. I'm just the tally lady. :) Good luck, everyone!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Go, everyone! I'm cheering you on!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I really need to do about 10 pages a day. The Challenge is making me sit down and WRITE. and get through this block I've got...
Only 2 pages the first day. But 2 more than I'd done before!
Diane

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I'm thinking real hard of setting some 'nagging' goals for the month of March. As in, I'm going to nag DH into doing certain things before the baby gets here (late April) or April will be the month of spending goals, when I hire somebody else to do it.

I could easily write two pages on any given day as long as those two pages were, ah, whining. But you Noodlers, go on with your efficient selves!

JW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]