site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, April 21, 2006

Old Dog, New Tricks

Today I’m 40.

Okay, give me a moment. That’s the first time I’ve seen it in writing. Gulp.

End of an era and all that. It’s hard. It’s a little painful.

But.

As I’ve been thinking about this over the past week or so, I started thinking about how much more I’ve dared in my 30s than I did in my 20s. (Nothing like climbing Mt. Everest, but I was a WIMP in my 20s, so anything was an improvement.)

I learned how to drive standard. Now it’s all I drive.

I bought a house – responsibility and a MUCH bigger payment than rent.

I went on my first vacation that wasn’t planned by my family.

I had my first mammogram.

I went to my first movie alone (I’m telling you, NOT the bravest person on the planet!)

I joined RWA.

I joined a critique group where all the other writers are published.

I got an agent.

I went to three National conferences.

So I’m thinking, 40 is a challenge, right? If I was able to expand my comfort zone in my 30s, how much more can I expand it in my 40s? I mean, what some people take for granted in their lives scares the bejeebers out of me, like Trish taking her road trips on her own or my sister in law going for her doctorate or my best friend Cindi having her third baby at 42.

I have some things on the horizon. I’m speaking at National (ohgodohgodohgod), I’m going on an out of town, overnight inservice with some wild and crazy teachers, I’m having elective surgery.

Some things I’d like to try in my 40s (don’t be expecting bungee jumping or anything – I live vicariously through my characters):

Learning car repairs – at least how to change a tire and charge a battery.

Maybe some form of home improvement. Nothing crazy like roofing or air conditioning, but maybe learning how to change a faucet. Or fix a leaky one.

Vacation out of the country. Nuevo Laredo doesn’t count.

Vacation with some friends, instead of the dh and ds. The above-mentioned wild and crazy teachers don’t count. Of course, they may cure me of the desire ;)

Join a gym. (Whoa, now I’m just getting CRAZY!)

So I’m going to look forward to my 40s instead of mourning my 30s. I’ll wear pink today instead of black.

It’s a new beginning.

9 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

Happy Birthday, my lovely, brave, funny, wise, and fabulous friend! Hope it's a great one!

Many hugs and kisses today!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Happy birthday, Mary!!!! 40 is such an awesome milestone! And the expectations of being 40 have really changed ... since everyone says now that 50 is the new 30, just imagine how much fun you're going to have, like reliving your 20s but with all the sass of experience!

I totally think you should travel on your own. A few years ago I went on a 3-week tour of Britain and Ireland. I'd been waiting for my dh to go with me, but it's just not in his blood, so finally I went alone (with his blessing). I met lots of new friends, including this crazy Australian chick who became my roommate on the tour, and had the best time of my life. It's so much more fun to travel on your own, than to drag someone along who doesn't want to go who will scowl at visiting the umpteenth castle or ruined cathedral or whatever!

What are you going to do to celebrate today????

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Happy Birthday, Mary! I love this post. I'm keeping it and the one on your blog in mind for my b-day next month. :)

LOL on Nuevo Laredo not counting. :)

Trish

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

Happy Birthday, Mary! I would never, ever peg you as a wimp.

What the heck is Nuevo Laredo?

BIG LOVE from your fan, Esri :D

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger bridget said...

Happy birthday! And yes, yes, push the envelope even wider--better yet, put a stamp on it and mail it to your new, even more daring self!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Happy Birthday, Mary!
My biggest tranformation came in my 40s so I envy you getting a head start on it! I so understand being a wimp, but it wasn't until my 40's when I started writing that my courage grew--I wanted to be a success at my Romance Writing so much that I would go anywhere and do (almost)anything to achieve it. Even scary things, like talking to people I don't know!!
Just think of all you can do. You can soar, Mary!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Thanks, you guys! 50 is the new 30, huh??? Not a wimp? Seriously? I am SUCH a wimp!

Trish, thanks for the kind words about this blog - I wasn't sure how it would come off!

Nuevo Laredo is just on the other side of the border in Mexico, the only place I've ever been out of the country!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

Happy Birthday, Mary! Enjoy this decade. It's like no other.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Thanks, Tori ;) !!!!!

I ate hamburgers (I know, but I LOOOOOVE hamburgers) and watched a Justin Chambers movie with no conflict, but it's all good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]