site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, April 07, 2006

Sleep-adoodle-doo

by Anne Mallory

Wow. Anyone else get kicked in the noggin by Daylight Saving Time? Seems to happen to me every year for about a week after the time change. Worse than jet lag because it insidiously creeps up on you. I try to set the clocks back around 10pm to trick myself, but this year I stayed up until 1:30am to watch a long, late movie, and 1:30 was really 2:30, which might as well have been a mallet wielded by the sleep fairy by the time I woke up the next day.

And now that the yearly Mockingbird has moved back to our telephone pole for his 2-3 week hunt for some hunnies, I see many sleepless nights in my near future.

To this end, I was delighted to read Norah's article on sleep this month over at the WNP e-zine. She has some great ideas for knocking off the sleep bug and getting in some good z's. Check it out and feel free to discuss any hot tips here!

Happy Sleeping!

7 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

My worst experience with the time switcheroo was the year my daughter was an infant. She was an early riser, usually calling for me from her crib somewhere around five or so (not that bad in a household where the adults usually get up around six, anyway).

But after daylight savings time kicked in, her morning wake up call came at four for several weeks. Ugh.

Too bad about the birds, Anne. I suppose there are worse things to listen to, but if it wakes you up (and keeps you up), any sound is annoying.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I've got one of those mockingbirds, too, Ann. He starts up around midnight and goes on for hours. Doesn't he know all the lady mockingbirds are asleep?

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Anne Mallory said...

If the darn bird would just sing the same song, it wouldn't be so bad. But no, he has to change it up every five seconds.

I'm with you, Karen. I think those Mockingbird women are tucked in and snoozing far away.

Terry, I hadn't even thought of that. 4am? Ugh. Belated hugs.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Thanks, Anne. I have been feeling SOOO unusually tired and I just mentioned it to my daughter, but I never even thought of the daylight savings time. I think the mystery may be solved.

Terry, that brings back so many memories...sleepless nights, etc. I need a nap just thinking about it. :)

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

Oh, man! It never bothered me before! But then I always had to get up and go to work, so I might as well get used to it.

It's probably worse this year because we had that week in Cancun, with so much glorious sunshine peeling off my hide. Coming back to pouring rain and weather colder than we had all winter seems to be confusing me. I wanta be outside in shorts! But if I can't, I might as well just go back to bed.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Me, me, me!

Usually I sleep in the next day after the time change, but I went to an art show, then came home and napped, then couldn't sleep that night and have been dragging ever since!

I have one of those mockingbirds, too.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger bridget said...

I'm the quintessential bitch-about-time-changes gal. Just when the mornings get nice and bright, and we can all wake up with the sun (which, DUH, is what we *should* be doing--can anyone say "natural biorhythms"?) the b-tards at time central switch the clocks, and we're back to waking and driving to work in darkness, trying to get the kids to sleep in full sunlight.

I think someone should send a bill to Congress and get them to quit doing Daylight Savings. Who's with me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]