site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Saturday, June 02, 2007

The emotions of music

It's a brand new month, and that means there's a new issue of the Wet Noodle Posse e-zine up on our site. Be sure to check out all the fabulous articles. Our Faves listing this month is our favorite movie soundtracks, a particular favorite topic of mine since I love soundtracks, especially orchestral ones. Since we submitted our copy for this issue, however, I've bought and fallen in love with yet another soundtrack -- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.


















I love every single song, from the fun and whimsical "Up is Down" to the sweeping emotion of "One Day" to the proud voices in "Hoist the Colours", the only song with singing accompanying the music. Hans Zimmer, who has done other soundtracks such as Batman Begins, King Arthur, Gladiator and Black Hawn Down, captures the essence and emotion of each scene and puts it to music. That's a talent I very much admire since I don't have a musical bone in my body.

It's the mark of a good soundtrack when you can listen to it and immediately see the accompanying scenes, reexperience the emotions you felt while watching those scenes. It's one of the things that make watching movies such a different entertainment experience than reading books. In addition to the visual, you have the audial. And for whatever reason, music taps into our emotions. I've probably relistened to the Pirates soundtrack 15 or 20 times by now, and it's because I love how the music takes me back to the story. I can relive Captain Jack's humorous antics, the battles between the pirate lords and the East India Trading Company, and the love story between Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann.

Plus, I can actually write to orchestral soundtracks (unlike ones with words, which I find distracting) and feed the emotion from the music into my writing. I think my work comes out richer for that extra emotion.

Now, we've told you our favorite soundtracks. What are yours? Really, we want to know. Hey, I might get some good suggestions to add to my collection.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Anna Campbell said...

Good morning, Trish, my Bandita friend! Trish moonlights at Romance Bandits http://romancebandits.blogspot.com/
Pop by and say hi if you get a chance.

Well, it's morning in Australia. There's a great Bill Bryson quote that you shouldn't worry if the world will end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

None of which has anything to do with soundtracks. I LOVE them. And I notice that we share some faves in common, Trish. Last of the Mohicans, Gladiator.

Like you, I can't write to music with words which basically leaves me with soundtracks and classical which suits me fine.

Braveheart is a gorgeous soundtrack with all this stirring stuff for the movie's, well, stirring stuff, and lovely lush Celtic-inspired themes that just make me want to cry. The Magnificent Seven is a classic. I also love the music from a film called The Big Country, an old western of the 50s with Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston. Has anyone seen it? It's a truly epic experience and the music is a huge part of that. For parties, I like The Big Easy or O Brother, Where Art Thou? Clearly, my parties are fairly sedate occasions. My current favorite, which frightens the neighbors whenever I put it on, is the music from Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's so passionate and romantic, once you get past the scary stuff!

Great topic, Trish!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Thanks for stopping by, Anna. I have Braveheart and O' Brother Where Art Thou. I'll have to make a point to see The Big Country. I grew up watching old westerns. They used to be on Saturday afternoons in my land of only 3 TV channels.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Anna Sugden said...

Great post, Trish. Having seen Pirates last night (Thanks for the tip you gave us Banditas about the extra scene!) and been awed by the soundtrack, this is good timing!

My favourite soundtracks also elicit the film, though they have more songs *grin*. Top Gun, You've Got Mail and One Fine Day for example. But also Bridget Jones. From my youth, the three F's Flashdance, Fame and Footloose. And, of course, Saturday Night Fever, Staying Alive and Grease.

There is also a lovely piece of music by Dave Grusin (who did a lot of themes) which is in one of my all-time favourite movies Falling in Love.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Hi, other Anna. :) I about wore out my Top Gun soundtrack on tape so got it on CD. Same with Dirty Dancing. You couldn't even read the names of the songs on the tape anymore. I like the Flashdance one too -- love "Maniac" by Michael Sembello.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Suzanne Ferrell said...

Hello, Trish! As much as I love the music in movies, the only sound track I currently have is from O,Brother. I adore the words and the harmonies in the old gospel songs.

Fortunately for me, and maybe not so fortunately for the family, I grew up doing all my homework to rock & roll. So I put on love ballads for love scenes and sad scenes. Hot sex or fun dialogue, usually some old Beatles or CCR or ZZTop. And when I want my heroine to exert her self-esteem...nothing better than Aretha!

Glad to be on the Posse's board, hope to see some of y'all visit us over at the Romance Bandits site!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Christine Wells said...

Trish, what a good idea to write to a soundtrack! I like writing to music that conveys mood. I can write with lyrics, but often orchestral music helps me concentrate better. Nice post!

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Footloose!!! Be still my heart!! Best movie AND best soundtrack ever!!! Oh, except for Dirty Dancing. Also one of my all time favs.

Can't think of any soundtracks I listen to, though at one point I remember having and loving the music to Cinema Paradiso. O Brother Where Art Thou is also fabulous.

Great idea for a blog--I should check some of these out. :-)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Anna C--I adore the Big Country soundtrack! And the movie is great, too :-).

Waving "hi" to Anna S :-)!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I bought the first soundtrack, which is by a different composer, because I love the majesty of the music in that movie.

I have Hope Floats and Grey's Anatomy soundtracks, and Dear Frankie. I LOVE O Brother Where Art Thou. My SIL has the karaoke of that, and we LOVE to sing those songs!

My favorites are John Barry soundtracks, number one being Out of Africa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]