site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Call - Or Why Does My Answering Machine Always Get The Fun?

Out of my GH Call and first sale call - my answering machine has always had the honors.  In fact, I've only been home for one call, and almost didn't answer that because it was during dinner (I have a strong no phone policy during the one family meal we sit down to eat together).  

Okay, so the GH was my first missed call.  I have entered the Golden Heart approximately 1, 345 times without a single call.  Okay, not really but pretty darn close!  I actually began a policy of not being home when the GH calls go out (something I highly recommend).  GH Call weekend usually falls on my birthday (not finaling can really put a damper on the festivities) and 2003 was no different.  My family had taken me out to lunch, and when I cam back - hang-up call.  Thank you Caller ID!

Typically when a Board member calls you to let you know you final, they don't leave a message (I guess they want to hear the screams).  But I just hit redial on the ID machine and reached the Board member.  I told her my name and that it looked like she'd called me (stating the obvious).  She said, "Hello Golden Heart finalist!"  I tell you, she was so fun - she made something really exciting all the better.

The book that finaled in the Golden Heart eventually became my first Harlequin Blaze (second book sold) called Share The Darkness.  I wasn't home for that call either - my agent left a message on my machine.  Then I called her back, and left a message on her voice mail.  The agony of waiting to hear back from her was, well, agonizing!

This is almost the anniversary of The Call.  The answering machine had the honor of speaking to Brenda Chin at Harlequin on Dec. 18, 2003 while I was a my child's class party at school.  And what do you know - today is the class party day, too!  The message said "it worked" and to call the next day.

What does "it worked" mean?  Should I really wait until the next day?  What would I do all night thinking about the next day?  Maybe it was revisions...maybe it was better.

I called Gena Showalter, my new best friend, who'd sold her first book earlier that year.  "Should I call her right now?" I asked her.

"Jill," she said.  "Hang up the phone with me right now.  Call her.  Now."

So I did.  Luckily Brenda Chin was still in the office, and she wanted to buy what became Never Naughty Enough, which came out just one year later in December 2004.  My husband was taking his last college final ever that night, so I took the kids and we celebrated at McDonald's.

What a ride!  I was actually home when I sold the next three books in the same contract.  

Hitting The Mark came out in February 2007.  Tall, Dark and Filthy Rich came out this past November and my new book - Primal Instincts will be out in February 2008.


Someone asked me if other calls are not as exciting at that first.  You know what - they are.  Each one of them is special and something I hope for you in the future!  Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

I loved reading your call stories. I think that must be a lucky answering machine. Don't get rid of it!

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

You're totally write about all the calls being exciting, be it the first or not. They all make me dance and squeal and my heart rate do funny things.

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

I love Mo's comment about your answering machine, Jill. I'd like a machine like that, LOL!

Yes, each call is wonderful :-). Congratulations on all yours!

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Stacy~ said...

Very cool Jill. I can imagine that it would never get old to get one of those calls.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

LOL Jill, I can see another blog entitled - Why Every Writer Needs a Damn Fine Answering Machine!

Loved your call stories. And love that you're Tall Dark and Filthy Rich will be out Downunder in January! They don't make us wait long for the best ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]