site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Pam's GH Call Story

That March Saturday back in 2003 was one of the worst in my life—or so I thought at the time. I sat by the phone, threatening the lives of my family if anyone so much as even thought of getting on the internet. I was waiting for the call I just knew would come.

Every so often I’d sneak online to check my emails. The calls were rolling in. My friend Stephanie Feagan finaled. I was so excited for her. Other people finaled. I’d never heard of most of them. Surely my call would be next. I waited and waited. As the “call” emails faded and were replaced by congratulations, I started to cry. I’d been so sure I would final. I was devastated.

I moped around all day, cried myself to sleep that night. I don’t know why I’d been so sure I’d final. Maybe it was part of that new writer confidence that makes you sure your book is the next big thing. Maybe it was because the book had already come so close to selling to Harlequin. But it looked like I’d missed the boat again.

Sunday, I set out to do all the errands I’d skipped on Saturday while waiting for the GH call. I needed to get away from the computer and all the happiness others were experiencing. I needed to get my mind off the whole thing.

When I got home, the dh said some woman had called, but wouldn’t leave a message. Huh? I shrugged and started unloading the groceries.

Fifteen minutes later, the phone rang. It was someone from RWA (I can’t for the life of me remember now who it was. A board member, I think.) But she’d called to tell me I’d finaled in the Inspirational category. Turned out Sunday was the day the calls were supposed to go out and she’d stuck to the original plan. It finally hit me. I was in! I was one of that elite group of people who’d finaled in the Golden Heart. I met the Noodlers, made some lifelong friends, and surely the next call would be from an editor wanting to buy the book.

Sadly, that never happened. I just sold a different book to Red Sage, but I’m pretty sure Lean on Me, my GH book, will never see the light of day.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Just goes to show you, Pam, that good things come when you least expect them!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Congratulations on your sale to Red Sage--may it be the first of many :-)!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

Pam, do they realise how much we suffer waiting for those calls? It's torture.

Congratulations on your GH final and your recent sale!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Way to go on that sale to Red Sage!

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks guys. Now that I actually have a tentative release date, it's starting to seem more real.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]