site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Still on the Fence?

Okay, so we're mid-way through the month of October, and we've had some wonderfully informative blog entries and comments. Have you made your decision yet?

If not, what's holding you back?

Money? Gosh, wish I could help you with that. Unfortunately, only you know what your budget can or can't handle. But earlier this week several Posse members shared some good pointers for making the monetary decision. If you missed it, go back and take a look at Theresa's blog. Maybe it will help.

Time? Oh, if I could save time in a bottle...Wait that's a song, isn't it? If only it were possible. If I could have any superhero power, it would be to stop time (like Hiro Nakamoro on "Heros"). That way I'd be able to get my entire "to do" list taken care of, then I'd lie down for a much needed nap. :-)

But seriously, Esri passed along some time organization tips for getting work done, along with a couple fun ways to reward yourself. Go back and re-read her post if you didn't write down her tips.

You have a few more weeks to make your decision. Hopefully you've been able to get some work done on your manuscript lately. Or you've entrusted your baby to the eyes and opinions of someone knowledgeable about the romance genre for a last minute critique.

If you can swing the entry fee, and your manuscript has the potential to be finished by the entry deadline, you may wanna do like Nina Bruhns suggested last week, enter that puppy in the granddaddy of all unpublished contests. As much as I hate to say this, it's kinda a crapshoot anyway. It's all based on the opinions of the select few (I believe it's 5) who receive your manuscript. It's subjective. We have to get used to that because this entire business is subjective.

All you can do is put your best foot forward, then hope it doesn't get trampled. Even better, hope that a friendly editor comes by and offers you a Manolo Blahnik (aka a contract). :-)

Something worrying you? Something getting you excited? Some niggling doubt or question been eating away at you? Get it all out in the open. Share with us, and we'll gladly share our thoughts, experience and advice.

What's on your mind today? (well, concerning the GH anyway )

Pris

9 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Hi Pris! I'll tell you what's on my mind...I NEED to finish this manuscript!!! I have 100 pages to go but I want to enter it in the Golden Heart so I need to write, write, write!!!

How about everyone else? Finished and ready to go?

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

What happened to the blog comment format? Where are the pictures, etc.?

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I was wondering the same thing, Theresa. I don't like this format.

Add my encouragement to Pris's! If you think your manuscript is ready for publishers, it is ready for the GH. And dreams can come true. I'm proof of it.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa, you can do it. Glean extra time by having your hubby do dinner and dishes, write one extra page before hitting the pillow, look in the mirror and tell yourself you can do it. We believe in you!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

Today Blogger is ignoring my posts. Trying once again just to see if this will go through.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

I was able to back-track through the back button and resurrect the last lost post which I'm pasting into a new one (it won't just post that one). So let's try again:

Ok, I'm not a really fabulous time manager. In fact I usually have to waste a few hours early in the morning just to prove to myself I can. Other people have jobs. I seem to be reminding myself I don't do jobs anymore.

But as far as entering with 100 pages to go: Let's look at the timeline. You have until Nov 17 to complete your entry form but you have until Dec 2 to get your complete manuscript and partial in. You can actually send it at the last minute, electronically, but you're risking the contest maxing out in numbers before your entry gets in. So if you're going to bother at all, you really want your entry in at least a week or two before the deadline, which is around a month away.

Can you write 100 pages in a month? Sure you can. Can you polish your partial too? I'm certain you can. The question that leaves is how much polish the full ms needs and can you also do that? The last I heard, the final round editors don't get the finished manuscript to judge, which means a deep polish can actually be done after submitting--

-- if the fulls aren't sent out or provided upon an editor's request. It's gone both ways in the past, and information on this has not always been accurate.

So then, maybe the question is, how much polishing can you get done before your deadline? And is it enough? I'm betting you can do it. But really that's your call not mine. Go gettum, Theresa!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Theresa, you can do it!!!! Your attitude is always so positive!!

And I'm really starting to believe Esri's idea that if I don't get it done, I'm only losing out on the money. My book will be closer to being finished, and then I'll just submit it directly to NY!

But I have faith in you. Go girl!!!

Pris

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

FYI: Maureen will be leading the Q&A tomorrow. My husband and I are headed to Arizona for Family Weekend at my daughter's university.

I haven't hugged my baby since mid-August, so I can't wait!!!

I'll post next week's schedule on Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Pris

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

Theresa, I am right there with you and I have more than 100 pages to go! I am going to write as much as I can until November 17th and then make my decision to bite the bullet and enter or not. I have taken some time off before the 17th - three days to do nothing but write so maybe I'll make it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]