site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, April 13, 2009

Finding Your Way in a New Environment

One of the best things about spring is the flowers. I especially love the azaleas that bloom in the spring. When our house was built, the people who did the landscaping put in an overabundance of azaleas around our front door. If we had left them where they were originally planted, they probably wouldn't be nearly as beautiful. About a year after we moved in, we had all of the azaleas transplanted to another part of the yard because there were too many plants in a small area. We moved them into a row at the back of our house, where we can see them as we look out of the windows in our family room. They form a wonderful hedge between us and the golf green beyond our backyard. The others are planted along the side yard. They have had plenty of room to grow in their new places.

Thinking about these plants brought to mind how people can grow and flourish when they are pushed into a new situation. Sometimes we might have to change jobs or move to a new location. These changes may not be to our liking in the beginning, but often a new environment makes us grow and challenges us to do something that maybe we didn't think we could do.

In my April book from Steeple Hill, HOMECOMING BLESSINGS, both the hero and heroine are thrust into a new and challenging situation when the heroine's father teams them together to run a mission project to repair houses for the elderly and poor folks in north Georgia. Even the writing of this book presented a challenge for me when the editors at Steeple Hill requested a change in the original story. I was thrust into finding a new scenario for these characters. At first I wasn't happy about having to change my idea, but the rewriting made me adapt along with my characters.

Tell us about a time that a change in your life helped you to grow.

Merrillee

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Homecoming Blessings. It was uplifting and inspiring.

Years ago, I worked for the airlines. My health deteriorated; I needed a new job. Went back to school; completed studies as a teacher's aid and then as a sign language interpreter. Neither panned out. I studied medical transcribing, and found a wonderful woman with whom to apprentice. Then her biggest account went in-house. She didn't need me. I worked for a company; not a good match. Then one of my private accounts referred me to another, big enough for me to drop the company. I still love working for them.

Lord of the Rings came out in theaters. A childhood love was remembered, which was only the beginning. The change in my life has been immeasurable with an amazing ripple effect that is still continuing because of all the incredible people who have graced my life as a result, including increasing my faith, improving my health, and encouraging my writing.
~Judy

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

The Romance Writing was the new situation that made me stretch and grow. I wanted to succeed so badly that I did things I'd never have done otherwise - walk into a meeting where I didn't know anyone; travel alone; promote myself.

And as a result I have a world of friends! Including the Noodlers and Judy, too!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Moving from NW Canada to Knoxville, TN 24 yrs ago was a big change, but I went to university there, had my child there and built a wonderful life. I moved from there to DC and learned to lead different organizations in a volunteer capacity. I had never lead my peers before. Now I am back in the south and focusing on my writing. Diane, the writing has brought me out of my comfort zone, too. I remember flying to a retreat two yrs. ago and when I got onto the plane, I was giddy with the thought that for the first time since my daughter had arrived, I was traveling ALONE! In a plane! For me! Wow!!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Exactly, Christine. I was doing something for ME, and that was out of my comfort zone!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Merrillee,
A change in my life that helped me grow was the year I studied abroad. I learned how to make new friends, how to study in a different way (tutorials were like oral exams every week), and how much I took for granted at home in the U.S.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Terry Odell said...

Ah, I'm headed in this direction. Hubby is "being retired" and we're both more than ready to move far, far away. I look upon it as a fresh start, scary as it may be.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Every time I have moved, I have grown as an individual but the best trick to having that happen is to embrace the new place. I think being positive makes a huge difference. My daughter learned that lesson when we moved here from DC. She had a positive attitude and a smile for the world and she transitioned into her new school beautifully. Another girl moved same time and was constantly comparing and being negative. Guess what? Not an easy transition.

I guess another thing is "When in Rome do as the Romans do." To a point. I still don't eat BBQ very often, but I've driven all over the south in my Escape and I have discovered thousands of jewels sparkling and shining up my life.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Merrillee said...

Judy,
I'm glad you enjoyed Homecoming Blessings. I'm a day late checking back in, as I still have a house full of company.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your new experiences. We moved a lot, and I think seeing other parts of the country have broadened my outlook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]