site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Top Ten Tips for Spring Cleaning



1. If it’s a gorgeous day, put off the spring cleaning. Enjoy the sunshine and balmy breezes outside! Think of it as . . . living in the moment rather than procrastination.

2. Assemble your tools and supplies and make sure the vacuum is in good working order before starting. That means removing the string and hair on the roller bar and changing the bag if you don’t have a bagless.

3. Start with your most public rooms. If you don’t ever get to the layer of dust on the blinds in your attic office, few people will know.

4. Listen to some great music while you clean, be it KC and the Sunshine Band, Prince, or Lady Gaga.

5. Divvy up duties among the residents of your humble abode. Have each person pick a room or a chore that they like. Maybe your youngest likes cleaning windows, or thinks cobweb removal is a form of entertainment. Maybe your daughter with OCD tendencies likes cleaning grout. Maybe your husband will vacuum the entire house if he can use his brand spanking new shop vac. Use their preferences to your advantage.

6. If you live in a region of the country that is currently boasting a high pollen count, don’t open the windows—unless you like dusting.

7. Cull as you go. Get rid of torn or stained clothing (or convert them to rags for polishing furniture). Donate your worn out running shoes to schools collecting them to recycle into a new surface for their track. Donate books to nursing homes or libraries.

8. Get it over with in one day. It might be a long day, but think of the rewards—no cobwebs (except in your attic office), a lot of calories expended, your house might actually pass the white glove test.

9. Eat a hearty breakfast, especially if you’re going for the one day blitz.

10. Treat yourself and your helpers to something fabulous when you’re done—a picnic at the park, a movie, or an ice cream sundae.
Do you have any tips to add that can make spring cleaning less of a chore? Do you spring clean?

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Christine said...

When I give the house a total once over, like a Spring Clean, I give myself a break every hour for 10 minutes as a reward. I think it helps the day go by a lot easier.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Gillian Layne said...

I used to hate it, and I still don't clean much on a regular basis, but when I do, I actually find it relaxing. As the kids grow older, I find all of our combined clutter a huge deterrent to a clean house.

I would suggest one, or even two, Crock Pot meals going on that day. People can stop and eat when they're hungry, load their dirty dishes back into dishwasher, and keep going.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Good tips, Maureen. I hate not being able to open the windows, but you're right. The pollen is awful this time of year.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Merrillee said...

Mo,
Great tips. I just have to put them into practice.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I don't Spring Clean, although I remember my mother doing it. I have been thinking my curtains need to be washed, though. And I've been slowly cleaning the kitchen cabinets.

Our rugs need shampooing, too....

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Christine,
Those ten minute breaks sound like a good idea!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Gillian,
Those crock pot meals sound like a great idea. I will definitely try it next time I do a big cleaning blitz.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Trish,
I made the mistake of opening windows during high pollen and then had to dust every surface again. Currently, my screened in porch is coated in yellow.:)

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Merrillee,
I'm good with the tips, but this year not so good at getting the spring cleaning done. Too much else on the plate. Is there such a thing as June cleaning? I might be able to pencil it in then.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Diane,
Make sure your curtains can be washed before you wash them. Yes, I washed first, checked care labels later. The curtains were about three inches shorter after washing, but they were clean!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Wonderful suggestions, Mo, especially #5. Don't try to do it all yourself. My son came home for Easter weekend and cleaned out our basement. Such a sweetie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]