site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Sisterhood of the Wet Noodle Posse

By Debra Holland

In 2003, some 60 of Romance Writers of America’s Golden Heart finalists joined a yahoo group. For the first weeks I experienced a lot of confusion trying to get to know these strangers, something hard to do when people are just writing about themselves, and you have no visuals of them. (A lot, if not most, of us didn’t have websites at the time.) I didn’t know that this group of strangers would grow into a posse of sisters whom I consider dear friends and deeply love.

In the beginning, those of us who’d been finalists before gave the newbies advice about what to expect at the conference and during the awards ceremony. But eventually we evolved to talking about the ups and downs of writing and the publishing world. We also started to share about our personal lives.

You can read all about the beginnings of the Wet Noodle Posse (WNP) on our website:
www.wetnoodleposse.com. The creation of the website and our monthly ezine brought us closer together as we worked toward common goals.

Since the beginning, we rejoiced in the births and adoption of babies, and the graduation and marriage of older children. We’ve even had one WNP marriage. Others have suffered serious illnesses. We’ve also supported each other through the illnesses and deaths of some of our parents. To our sorrow, we’ve also lost one of our members.

There’s something special about having friends who share your goals and dreams. They really understand the longing to make up stories that others enjoy, and the discouragement of rejections and publishing problems because they’ve been there too. Those sisters who’ve gone on to publishing success have led the way for the rest, sharing their wisdom. They’ve proved that the dream can happen if you keep writing. We have faith in each other. We are each others’ cheering section.

We don’t get to see each other much. We try to take some time during the RWA National conference. But it’s not easy because we are all pulled in different directions. Sometimes some of us meet as smaller conferences, and it’s always nice to spend quality time together. An often expressed dream is to have a retreat for ourselves. Someday....

I’d say about 60% of our sisters have become published. Yay! Unfortunately busy lives and writing schedules means that many no longer stay in the close touch that they once did. But they still pop in from time to time and are welcomed. I know I don’t post as much since my corporate crisis/grief counseling business took off a couple of years ago. But I try to read all the posts and send love, hugs, support, (and commiserations if needed.)

Although we had to discontinue our ezine, some valient sisters keep up our blog. If only I had time to read more of the posts... But I love to when I have a chance.

Here’s to my Wet Noodle Posse sisters. You are one of the best things my writing career has brought me. May all your dreams come true!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Deb,
I have to agree with everything you said. This sisterhood is a beautiful thing!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Cheers, Debra! The Wet Noodle Posse has been one of the best things that ever happened to me. This doesn't happen often (although the 2008 Pixie Chicks) are a wonderful group too. Sometimes you just get the right mix of wonderful, supportive people and it works.

I'm so happy to know all of the Noodlers and all of our regulars who stop by. It feels like one big happy family when I stop in to see what everyone has to say!

Great post, Debra. Gave me chills. Love you all!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

I'm chiming in with Theresa to say "Cheers!" to Deb and all my Noodler sisters. This group has been an amazing part of my writing life--an unexpected gift and a continuing treasure.

Thanks for the wonderful post, Deb :-)!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I was too overwhelmed that first year to become active with the Wet Noodle Posse. I lurked mostly, but gradually I got to know -- and appreciate -- everyone. This is a wonderful group and I treasure being a part of it.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I appreciate all the wisdom and generosity on this site!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Karen said...

What a wonderful group the Wet Noodle Posse is! I treasure the friends I've made through my writing, but the ladies of the WNP will always be special.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]