site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, May 15, 2009

Q&A Friday

One of my favorite things to do with friends is to watch movies. Two of my favorites that celebrate sisterhood started as books--Little Women and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
I remember watching Little Women (and yes, for me, it has to be the version pictured here with June Allyson, Margaret O'Brien, and Elizabeth Taylor) with my sisters and loving it. I still cry when Beth dies. I still want Laurie to marry Jo.
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants continues to bring me to tears as well with the Carmen storyline, especially when she's watching her father with his new family or when trying to explain to him how his actions make her feel unloved because he's there for his fiance's kids in a way he was never there for her, his biological child. And sarcastic Tivvy befriending a little girl who's very sick. And Lena spending a summer in Greece with her grandparents and falling in love. I may just have to watch it again!




So what are your favorite movies that celebrate sisterhood?


Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Loved The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I also enjoyed the book, IN HER SHOES, as well as the movie.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Christine,
I LOVED that movie, too! Great acting. Great character arcs for both sisters.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

I LOVED the movie version of The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood! And I also loved The First Wives Club. And of course you can't beat Steel Magnolias. I think Sense and Sensibility is also a great movie about sisterhood. There's an old Bette Midler movie called Beaches. Anyone remember that one? Or how about 9 to 5 ? I am having trouble with a boss right now that I would LOVE to send to the Amazon rainforest to be a slave to a bunch of Amazon women!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

The Parent Trap, both the original with Hayley Mills and the later remake with Lindsay Lohan. Definitely Little WomenYou all have named some great ones. How about Big Business with Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin as "identical" twins? I pretty much love any ensemble movie with Diane Keaton and/or Bette Midler.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I love the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movies and books too. Loved the Lena and Costas storyline and that of Carmen as well.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Beaches, for sure. Little Women, in all it's guises. I, too, still cry when Beth dies, but now that I'm a writer, I cry when Professor Bhaer rejects Jo's book manuscript. Soul sisters, all.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Yes yes and yes to all the movies--loved the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood. I read the book and watched the movie. What great characters! I also watched and read the First Wives Club, And Steel Magnolias--what a classic! I think I have watched all those movies!

Thanks for a fun and memorable post!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Kate Diamond said...

Very rarely do I watch movies about sisterhood. I think I prefer reading the books...

Gotta say, my favorite biological sisters of all time have got to be Jane and Elizabeth Bennet. I also think Jennifer Crusie writes great female friendships.

Oh, and I love the relationship between Rosie O'Donnell and Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]