site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, May 07, 2009

What Qualities Make a Best Friend?


No doubt about it, friends enrich our lives. They pull us up when we're down, they tease us when we take life a little too seriously, and they experience the joy of our triumphs with us.


But what in particular do we look for in a best friend? When I look at my closest buddies, I see patterns. One, which may not be that important to some people, but is important to me, apparently, is that all my closest friends enjoy food. Activities often involve meals, either us cooking together or sharing a meal at restaurant. Another quality I look for is a willingness to listen to what I’m saying and possibly what I’m not saying. Some friends are all about telling you what’s going on with them, but they may not ask about you. They’re still friends, but not my “go to girls.” The third thing I look for in a good friend is an ability to enjoy the moment.

What was it exactly that drew you to your sisters of the heart? Was it a shared experience like living in the same college dormitory? Is it that you and your best bud have the same warped sense of humor?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Christine said...

My best friends all share a few qualities with me: they love living life to the fullest, they are positive people, they are encouraging, they aren't afraid to tell me I'm an idiot when I am one, they love me anyway, they support my goals, and they are unwaveringly loyal.

I am very blessed to have them in my life.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Judy said...

Had I been answering this question a few years ago, I would have said that they were people with whom I had events in common (school, church, work, etc). Then LOTR (movie) awakened old perspectives and drew me to most of the friends I have now. We stayed friends because we each have a deep faith though we don't share the same religion. Our sense of humor is similar, and we generally see the good in others. Most of us are possessed of a love for reading and learning. Beyond all that, they have given me the gift of acceptance, warts and all. Though we demand perfection of ourselves, we lovingly brush away the flaws in each other and embrace the quirks. Heaven.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Christine,
Your best friends sound wonderful!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Judy,
Interesting how it was LOTR that drew you to your best friends. I love the "warts and all" acceptance from my best friends, too.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Christine and Mo, you've both mentioned a lot of what friendship offers--wonderful stuff, isn't it :-)? And Judy--that LOTR aspect is fascinating.

The friends I most appreciate are the ones I can catch up with after long absences and carry on as if we'd been visiting the day before. Low maintenance when we're apart, big rush when we're together :-).

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Terry,
I know exactly what you mean about the low maintenance friends. I have one of those, too. I recently saw her at my sister's baby shower, and it was like we hadn't been apart!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]