site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spring Break


Springing Forward sometimes involves stepping back to re-energize. What better way to reinvigorate ourselves than to take a Spring Break?

Spring Breaks don’t have to be expensive. Last year, thanks to some friends and really good luck, we were able to spend a week in Orlando, Florida visiting the Disney parks and even ventured to Cocoa Beach one day to jump waves. This year we scaled way back. No, not a staycation exactly. We visited my parents in Louisiana. Visiting family not only reinvigorates relationships, it allows you to explore or rexplore nearby attractions. By visiting my mom and dad, I also had the opportunity to see old friends, which I did. Nothing re-energizes me more than spending time with my buddies.

During this trip, my mother and I took my daughter to Nottoway Plantation, located in White Castle, which has just undergone a multi-million dollar renovation. www.nottoway.comThe White Ballroom--a space with the most amazing plasterwork, walls and floors, all painted in glossy white and featuring gold furniture is truly spectacular. My daughter and I also spent a day in the French Quarter with the obligatory visit to Café du Monde for beignets and café au lait. We introduced some Georgian friends who met us there to our powdered sugar tradition—we blow it on each other. Yes, immature at best, but fun nonetheless. A word to the wise, wear light-colored clothing if you plan to indulge in our favorite French Quarter pastime.

Another spot my daughter and her friends wanted to visit was the French Market, where they purchased masks and jewelry from local vendors. While revisiting the place I used to call home, I made sure I got a muffletta—the best sandwich in the world, crawfish, and some fresh, locally grown strawberries. As they say in Louisiana, “the rest of the world eats to live, but in New Orleans we live to eat.”

So what did you do for Spring Break?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Judy said...

Mo H, I want your spring break, particularly as I don't get one. Your adventure sounded delightful!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

I want Mo's spring break too! Actually I elected to take May 2,3,4, and 5th off for my very own Spring Break from work. I am doing it as a life saving measure. If I don't get away from Wal-Mart for more than one day at a time I am going to KILL someone! I am really looking forward to my four days off. What will I do? WRITE !!! Then READ !!! THEN WATCH DVDs !!! SLEEP !!! And then WRITE SOME MORE !! And if I feel like it I will clean up my house!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

wow, Mo, your spring break sounds wonderful! Love the great pictures. I also LOVE the Cafe DuMond! You lucky girl...

Louise, I am excited for you to get your FOUR days! You deserve some time off!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Thanks, Judy! You should treat yourself to a special weekend--even at home.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Louisa,
I sincerely hope you don't feel like cleaning on your Spring Break. Enjoy those days off!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa,
It was wonderful. I'm lucky that I have family who live in an interesting place.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Mo--thank you for sharing your break story. I pored over the pictures of the mansion. Hope I get to see it in person some day!

Louisa--your break sounds perfect. Is there anything more luxurious & relaxing than giving yourself permission to laze in bed with a good book and a movie rental?

My husband and I just got back from a bed & breakfast in Napa Valley. Great scenery, fabulous food, fun people. Lots of story ideas. Ahhhh :-).

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Christine said...

i think we got an enforced break... schools closed in my city due to the swine flu hysteria... so no school Th/F and weekend coming up.

for our real break we went to Disney and had a ball

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Terry,
Your break sounds like fun, too. I hope the ideas that developed during your trip to Napa turn into a contracted book. I'd love to read one of your stories set in wine country.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Christine,
Glad you got in your Disney trip before your school closing. Here's hoping that the outbreak is contained soon.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Terry Odell said...

I don't really have a Spring Break, since there are no kids in school in our household. Still dealing with the Spring Cleaning.

I'll add another beignet warning: don't inhale while taking a bite. You'll choke on the powdered sugar.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Judy said...

No inhaling when eating a beignet and exhaling to dust friends. Clearly, I have been deprived my whole life as I don't even know what a beignet is.

Mo, your idea of a weekend break reminded me that I'd spent a long weekend in L.A., last month. I didn't think of it as spring break because it's a Tolkien weekend. It was only four days, but it was pure pleasure. Descanso Gardens; Bob's Big Boy for classic car night; Tolkien Reading day in costume, followed by Mimi's Cafe with our group; breakfast at the beach, followed by a walk and even dipping my toes in the ocean; El Dorado Park; and lots of chatting with my dear friends there. Just thinking about it, and I'm there again. Thanks for jogging the memory. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]