site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Conquering that old evil: Self Doubt

Let me start off by admitting that I am the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. I am a sufferer of self doubt, sometimes masquerading as writer’s block, from time to time. If there’s anyone out there who can honestly say they haven’t, please let me shake your hand & bow at your feet. There are days I am not worthy to be in your presence. Yet, I am proud to say there are days where I feel I am.

Those are the days I want to focus on right now. The days when your character clicks with you. When the plot falls into place. When your character pulls up a chair to have chat about an issue with their story. When you final in a contest. Or win! The times you make your critique partner cry— from laughter or heartfelt emotions. The days you experience the sense of accomplishment when you type the words “The End”, literally or figuratively.

All of these positive, uplifting moments need to be in the forefront of your mind. Little snapshots of what you can and have done— steps leading you to your ultimate destination. Write them down if you need the tangible reminder. Set your winning plaque or certificate on your desk. Display it with pride. And when those doubts start creeping in, use your mementos as reminder to yourself that you can and have succeeded.

Your accomplishments will give you the push you need to get over the speed bump slowing you down. Enough push to have you on your way to success!!

What works for you when you need to push your doubts aside and get your positive energy flowing?

6 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Thanks! I have to keep reminding myself that the only person I'm trying to do better than is MYSELF. I can't compare to other people's accomplishments. I did manage a lot during a big move and I am proud of those accomplishments. Still not published, but I made PRO and I have finished 4 books. That's something. Now I have to get myself to the next level: writing queries (again), fine tuning the synopsis process (always) and getting the requests out the door and into the mail box!!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Christine, good for you with the four books finished and going PRO! yahoo!

Pris, the self-doubt can be a killer, that's for sure. What helps me get past the feeling of unworthiness is to buckle down more than ever and write through it. Also, knowing that most writers feel the same way helps too. :)

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

Congrats, Christine! I need to do the PRO thing too. You are ahead of me. I have two books finished and two in the works. And I am getting ready to get the queries in the mail too, which probably accounts for my feeling of paralysis when it comes to writing these days. I have so much self-doubt these days I'm thinking of charging it rent! I'm going to try and write through it and just keep moving forward.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Louisa, I love your idea of charging rent to your self-doubt. Better yet, though, kick it to the curb!!

Get the query letter written, even if it's a rough first draft. You'll be that much closer to having it done and in the mail!

Christine, four books is awesome!! Keep reminding yourself about them. How many people say they want to write a book, but never sit down and actually do it. Girl, you've surpassed them, big time!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Sometimes I read something I wrote, something I haven't read for a long time and I surprise myself. I usually really like it!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Pris,
That's some great advice. We do have to kick the self-doubt to the curb!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]