site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Hot Buttered Cider Recipe


One of my favorite hot drinks for fall is cider. This recipe, on page 51 of the Better Homes and Gardens Heritage of America Cookbook, is fabulous.


Hot Buttered Cider Sipper
(Makes 6 servings)
1 quart apple cider or apple juice
3 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole allspice
4 inches stick cinnamon, broken
¼ to 1/3 cup brandy
3 teaspoons butter or margarine (butter is better—my suggestion)
100% cotton cheesecloth


In a medium saucepan (or your crockpot—my suggestion), combine apple cider, honey and lemon juice. Make a spice bag by cutting your cheesecloth into a 6 inch square. Place spices in the center of the cheesecloth and tie ends, corner to corner. Add bag to cider mixture. Cover and heat through but do not boil. Once cider is hot, discard spice bag and stir in brandy. Ladle hot cider into mugs; float ½ teaspoon butter atop each serving.


What’s a beverage that says autumn to you?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Judy said...

I'd say hot chocolate, except that I drink it year round. :-)

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Judy,
Yum!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Hot cider sounds wonderful! Judy, I love hot chocolate, too! A definite fav!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I'm not a cider drinker, though I always like the sound of it. I equate it with fall festivals, and corn mazes, and pumpkin patches, etc.

When it starts getting cold, that's when I start eyeballing Starbucks for hot chocolate. I don't drink coffee at all, so winter is the only time Starbucks gets any business from me.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa,
Cider is wonderful on a cold fall day. It really hits the spot!

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Trish,
I've heard Starbuck's hot chocolate is good. I'm a coffee drinker, so I always go for the java if I'm there, but I may have to try the hot chocolate next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]