site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, November 06, 2005

It's that time....

Last week I posted about my favorite day of the year...but now it's time to pay the piper for that extra hour we got.

Now we have those early dark evenings coming all too soon. And soon we'll have dreary, dark mornings too--at least, here in the Midwest. And in much of the country except where those sunny people in Florida and California live. Lucky them.

I hear more and more people complain about being affected by Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder (SAD) every year.

In fact, a good friend of mine told me that last year, she got so it was so bad, she wouldn't have gotten out of bed if she hadn't had to get her two children off to school.

So what to do about it?

Well, you can buy those special lights/lamps that will help give you "natural" sunshine. I know Trish uses them, and says it has made quite a difference for her.

And you can work out more, get that body moving and those endorphins scattering. Sounds like a plan to me, says the lady who sits much too long at the computer every day. ;-)

The other thing you can do is to eat more raw fruits and vegetables. In fact, eat as much as you want. Brain food, some people call it. Living food, others call it. But it makes a difference. (For more on that, read about my own experience.)

I start every day off with a green smoothie--I fill my blender with two cups of water, add one large apple (cored) or two small ones, a half an avocado, some sprouts, and a huge handful of spinach. Whip it up and I've got great brain food breakfast. I have energy all day, and I sip on that while I'm writing or working on the computer.

Grab a bowl of grapes and have them next to your computer instead of that Halloween candy you pilfered from your kids.

Or a bag of carrots. A bunch of bananas. Some tomato slices salted with sea salt and sprinkled with balsamic vinegar. Guacamole ( my all time favorite). Strawberries, if you can get them. A pineapple. Apples. Spinach salad.

Doesn't that sound good? Feed your brain with fresh food, and you'll feel better. Fresher. And along with the exercise and the lightbulbs, you'll kiss SAD goodbye.

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger don't call me MA'AM said...

I was thinking along those same lines the other day. I love the extra hour of sleep, but that "high" only lasts for a day. It's dark now before I even leave my office (boo...), and I feel like I'm dragging even more than I was before.

My brain food: I have a can of plain roasted almonds, as well as a bag of some kind of dehydrated fruit at my desk. They keep better than fresh and are rich in antioxidants. I especially like Craisins and dried plums. Mix them into a bag with the almonds... yummy brain food!


*also in the midwest*

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Colleen Gleason said...

I love almonds with dried apricots and cranberries too! One of my favorites. I keep a bag of almonds with me almost all the time.

Colleen

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Interesting info, Colleen. I'll have to look into it more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]