site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2005

A Rose by any other name

Some questions from Terry McLaughlin--

I recently found out I'm going to be a grandmother for the first time. Awwww... Okay, now back to blog business.

One of the first topics that popped up after the big announcement was the baby's name. Something from the family? Something Irish? Traditional? Modern?

We writers get to choose our characters' names, and it's A Big Deal. Some of us adopt pen names, which is An Even Bigger Deal. Parents choose their children's names, which is The Biggest Deal Since Sinatra Played Vegas. Names are powerful things, aren't they? Full of meanings and layered with contexts and filtered through our life experiences, all wrapped up and tied with a big identity bow.

So, here's the questions part. What are some of your favorite names? Names you've picked for your characters? Memorable names of characters you've enjoyed? Clever names for pets you've known? How did you choose your children's names? What name would you have chosen for yourself, if you'd had that chance?

3 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

OMG! I CANNOT believe you're going to be a grandma. That's just wild, but congrats.

Names -- For some reason, I've always liked a lot of names that start with "E" -- Erin, Ethan, Emily. Also like the name Gwen.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

We took months to decide on a name for our son. If I ever have another boy, he will be William. He's the hero of my favorite book.

A girl, I don't know.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Terry - for the first few years of writing, I'd use the names my husband rejected. That's how my first (sold) book got Annabelle.

Still never sold the Arianna book!

And congrats on becoming a grandma - that is awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]