site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, May 26, 2006

Brain Overload - by Theresa Ragan

Hey, here I am. I actually remembered to write my blog! I missed my day the last two months and I really was afraid that I was getting Altzheimers until my son said he had what I had. Brain Overload. Not only do I walk into the kitchen or garage and then immediately forget why I went there in the first place, but last week I took the clothes from the washing machine and tossed them into the dryer. Then I turned the knob, but the dryer wouldn’t work. I tried turning the knob every way possible. I turned the knob so many times that it finally came off. It was easy enough to put the knob back on, but I finally gave up. I had to come to grips with the fact that my dryer was broken. I spent the next hour looking for the warranty, and then I called the repairman and set up an appointment. I begged the repairman to come as soon as possible, but he said he couldn’t come for FIVE days! I told my family the dryer was broken and for the next two days nobody did laundry. On the third day, my husband, seeing that I had left clothes to rot in the dryer, turned the knob and then ALSO turned the knob to the left of that knob…the small knob that says START above it. Waala. The dryer worked. It was never broken. I’ve been using that dryer for years. With four kids and the drama that comes along with those kids, my brain is on overload. My oldest son made me feel a little better when he told me that he was eating a burrito with his friends the other day. Before each bite he would put a drop of taco sauce on it. Suddenly he poured his iced tea on his burrito. Everybody jumped up to avoid getting wet. They said, “What are you doing!?” He didn’t know what to say. Instead of drinking his iced tea, he had poured it on his burrito. Ha! It's my birthday today. I'm 47 and I'm going to enjoy every moment of the day. If you have a dryer or burrito story, share it with me, please!

8 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

Theresa, I do stuff like that all the time. It's definitely brain overload, and in my case it's combined with not enough sleep.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Thanks, Pam. Boy, I remember being sleep deprived when my kids were really small. Not fun...

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Happy birthday, Theresa!

(Sorry, no burrito or dryer story for a present.)

Have a wonderful, special day!

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Hey, there, fellow Gemini! :) I'm a tad late, but I hope you had a great birthday. And I do that whole "why the heck did I walk into this room" thing all the time.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

For me it is names. Ask me for a name and my mind goes blank. Some names of people I know well fall out of my head. I couldn't introduce a friend to another person - her name was just gone. And signing books one time, I could not come up with the name of another friend. I felt awful.
Diane

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

Happy birthday, Theresa!!

I do stuff like that all the time, especially around now, the end of the school year! Like Diane, some of it comes out in me forgetting names. Of the students I've had ALL YEAR. Weird.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Forgetting names is a strange feeling...it's always right there on the tip of your tongue and brain and then they walk away and it comes back to you! :) For some reason I can remember lots of numbers though. I know all of my kids social security numbers by heart and my husbands. I can list off telephone numbers from friends I had in elementary school. But everything else...forget it! It's gone! :)

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I remember birthdays. Like today is the birthday of my 7th grade boyfriend.

Weird, I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]