site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bargain Hunter Extraordinairre

I think I finally managed to impress my husband today with my bargain hunting. He was somewhat impressed with the like-new sectional sofa I got for $50 and the nearly new washer and dryer I got for $100 and the Michelin tires (5 of them) that I got for $125. But today I managed to get a Subaru Legacy for nothing. Well, almost nothing.

A few years ago he decided to go into the flea market business and bought some scooters. We managed to unload most of them, except for the most expensive one--a 49cc gas scooter that cost us $300 and was supposed to retail for $650. We couldn't sell that thing to save our lives. But yesterday I was cruising Craigslist, in the barter section, to see if anyone was willing to trade a small car for something. I ran across a guy with a 1990 Subaru Legacy with a new paint job, new tires, and a brand spanking new MP3 player. He wanted to either sell it for $600 or trade it for something.

Okay, he wants to get rid of something I want, and I have to make him want something I have.

I did.

The car needs a new head gasket, and we knew that going in. Not a big deal. I figure the tires and radio are worth more than I paid for the scooter, plus I now have another empty spot in my garage. And as soon as I can talk the hubby into going out into the heat to work on my "new" car, I'll have a gas saver instead of a gas hog to drive. And this one actually has paint!! (unlike my 94 Ford with the rapidly disappearing paint job).

Yes, the Subaru is old, but I used to sell them and they last forever. 300,000 miles is common to see on a running Subaru.

I'm putting on my bargain hunter tiara now. I plan to milk this one for all it's worth.

Oh, and for the writers in the group? This guy is headed for Hollywood in 3 months with hopes to sell his WWII movie he just finished making. His uncle was the producer on Around the World in 80 Days. Anyway, Scott is willing to look at screenplays if anyone wants to send him one.

5 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Tori, you are the bargain hunter queen! I bow to your powers of persuasion!!!

Hugs,
Pris

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Wow, what a deal. Hope the car keeps running for years to come.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

That's pretty durn amazing. Someone else is bowing, so I'll curtsey.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I am prostrate with AWE. Way to go, Tori. Not only do you get a car but you get a potential buyer of screenplays too.
I'm amazed at the car. Amazed and awed.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Tori Scott said...

Best news yet, the hubby got it running! Now we just pray that the head gasket is a permanent fix and it doesn't develop any other problems.

Either way, I still have the satellite ready Mp3 player and new tires I could sell to recoup the money. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]