site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Last of the Summer Holidays

If you're anything like me, you spent at least a few minutes last evening waving good-bye to summer. Even though temperatures are still in the 90s in my little corner of the world, and hurricane season lasts until the first of November, I always think of September after Labor Day as fall.

When I was a kid in Kentucky we always started school on the Tuesday after Labor Day. By the end of the month we were kicking and scrambling our way through mounds of colorful leaves on the way to and from school. Mornings were misty, and we needed sweaters for the Friday night football games.

Now I'm a grown-up and the day after Labor Day is just another work day for me. I have an employee with a broken elbow and a budget workshop at 7:00 this evening, and the holidays coming up in October, November and December are looking like even more work to me.

I've decided to set my sights on some mini-holidays between now and then, wondering what I can do for a day, or half-day, if one presents itself. There's always that pedicure I've been promising myself. And how long has it been since I've gone to the zoo? At the first hint of a cool breeze I'll plant myself on the porch with my laptop and a diet soda and spend the day with some long-neglected characters. Shopping? Maybe. Yard work? Sure, I can find someone to do that. Try a new recipe, feed the birds, take a nap or two.

Sounds like a plan!

3 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I like mini-holidays. They're always good refreshers.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I'm taking a "holiday" tomorrow. Meeting with my writing friends for a whole day of talking and eating.
Can't wait!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

This is a really good idea. I'm often guilty of not taking breaks until my subconscious says, "That's it! You're spending the whole damn day surfing the internet!" How much better it would be to get a pedicure or a massage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]