site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, January 26, 2007

Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase!

It’s a Swahili phrase translated to mean “no worries.” I might have talked about this before, and if I did, it’s because it’s something I am aware of on a daily basis: Letting the little things go and being a positive force at the same time. Nobody likes negative people and I’m not talking about a few hours of complaining to a friend every now and then, because I personally think that’s healthy. Letting my frustrations out when I see my sister or friend feels good…just like writing in my journal.

What I want to know is why do some people almost always see the glass half full, while others see it half empty? My kids are a perfect example. My youngest daughter dances and plays basketball and I am talking hours every day. I know she’s sore and tired, but she NEVER complains, while my son tends to harp on every aching muscle after a workout. He also complains about other drivers, teachers, store clerks who aren’t quick enough…shall I go on? And then there are the people who swear they’re Pollyanna’s, but are, in fact, some of the most negative people I know.

Maybe Dr. Debra can give me a few tips on how to train myself to BE positive and STAY positive. For the past two years I have focused on doing just that. Mind you, I have my bad days. But, at least, I’m trying. I’ve completely purged myself of any hint of road rage (well, there was this ONE time, but I swear, it was only once in the past two years.) If I end up sitting in the car, waiting for one of my kids for thirty minutes, I no longer sweat it, even if I’m going to be late for an important event. Burnt toast? Locked the keys in the car again? Ran out of gas? Sick kid with no one to watch them? Newly mopped floor and spilt milk, or in my case, spilt balsamic vinegar complete with broken glass? Hey, it could always be worse, right?

Hakuna Matata!

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I think this is a very healthy way to live life. Being negative all the time can't be healthy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]