site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Mothers and Daughters
by Norah Wilson

I just spent the last week with my elderly mother, who still lives in the old two story farmhouse where we grew up. She’s a fairly delicate 82. Although the total hip replacement she had in February has improved her mobility, she really can’t live alone any longer. Four of my sisters—all retired, semi-retired or otherwise non-working—take turns spending a week at a time with her. Since I’m still employed full time, I’m not part of the regular rotation, although I do provide bridge coverage sometimes from one sister to another. But each summer, I do take a week of my vacation, say goodbye to my own family, and go spend a week with my mother. It’s wonderful. Not just the one-on-one time with my mother, but the total change of pace. Weeding the garden, watering the tomato plants from the rain barrel, deadheading flowers, making meals with produce directly from the garden. These things are good for the soul. As is unplugging from cyberspace. (Okay, I logged on a few times, but with country dial-up, that hardly counts.)

And get this -- while I was gone, my wonderful 18-year-old daughter cleaned my house. I mean, seriously cleaned it, purging our crowded little bungalow of years worth of accumulated junk. She rearranged my writing office (with my blessing) by reducing my U-shaped desk to two pieces and opening up the room. She organized my books (Noodlers on the Noodler shelves, natch). She nagged my DH to install the window air-conditioner, as the current heat wave had turned my west-facing office into an unlivable oven. She cleaned both bathrooms, my kitchen, my living room, my bedroom.

And why did she do this? Because she knows I rely heavily on my summer vacation to make big time progress on my writing projects. I just came home tonight to a clean house. No piles of dirty dishes. No mountains of unwashed laundry. And tomorrow, I’m going to get up, walk the dog, then dive into my WIP in my clean, organized, cool office. Thanks to my daughter, who used a week of her summer break to help her old mother. I wub you, Baby Girl.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

It's no surprise that you have such a wonderful daughter, Norah, because she has an amazing role model. I love that you were both able to do so much to help your respective moms.

Lee

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

What a great girl you have, Norah! I hope I can meet her someday!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Lucky you! Hugs to your daughter and your husband (the AC technician).

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie Feagan said...

Can I adopt her? I've got a replacement for you - maybe you can whip her into shape? :) Glad you got some quality time at your mom's, Norah - just the wee bit you posted sounded heavenly! Fresh tomatoes, right off the vine? I think I got a little breathless, just at the thought. (Clearly, I need to get a life...)

Hope you get lots and lots done on your book, you cool woman, you!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

WOW. What a great kid. A great person.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

That's totally awesome, Norah. Norah's daughter -- you're too cool for words.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger bridget said...

I loved hearing about your daughter, Norah. And about what a wonderful daughter you are (reading between the proverbial lines). Thanks for sharing.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Trish Morey said...

Norah, do you do summer camp? I have four daughters who - ahem - take after me. I'll happily take your gorgeous girl in exchange:-))

What a star. You deserve it. And your daughter is a love.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Thanks, guys. Lindsay is a doll. Though if you'd checked in with me when she was 13, I might have used a different descriptor. I didn't know if we were going to survive her teenage years! Then she turned 15, and it was like someone flipped a switch. I'm still trying to figure out if it was her switch or my switch...

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Delle Jacobs said...

What a great kid you have there, Norah! She is descended from a line of wonderful, strong women and she obviously is making the most of her good genes.

I'm getting such a kick out of my grandson, who will unfortunately be leaving in a few days. Sometimes the other men I live with can be frustrating with their messiness, but this grandson, who never says much, quietly picks up whatever mess he sees, whether it's his or someone else's. Even my step-daughter noticed and commented how great it is to have a kid around who just automatically cleans up wherever he is. For that, I thank both the kid and his wonderful mother. Because the others seem to be picking up a little bit better now, too.

Delle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]