site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Happy New Year!

by Lee McKenzie

Ever since I was a kid in school, I’ve loved September. By the end of August the days were getting shorter and summer vacation was starting to feel as though it had gone on long enough. My mom would take me shopping for new shoes, back-to-school clothes and school supplies, and I looked forward to finding out which classroom I’d be in and who my teacher would be. Everything had an exciting newness to it. Even the crisp morning air in early September felt fresh compared to the stale heat of summer.

All these years later, nothing much has changed. My kids are in college and my husband is a high school teacher, so the beginning of September is still back-to-school time. After a hectic summer vacation, I was happy to see everyone pack their schoolbags and head out the door. Now, after the first week of school, we’re gradually getting back to a normal routine.

There’s even a fresh newness to having the house to myself all day. The writer in me craves peace and quiet, and I finally have it again. So the real New Year might not start until January 1, but mine already has.

Lee
www.leemckenzie.com

PS: The other great thing about this time of year is the end of TV reruns! The new season of my favorite shows . . . Men in Trees, Grey’s Anatomy, Brothers and Sisters, The Office . . . will be soon be starting. What are your favorites?

8 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

I'm eagerly awaiting the new Project Runway! And Dancing With The Stars, even though I'm not sure who will be interesting this time.

Some of my favorites are ending, like The Closer. Love that show!

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Diane, I can relate. One of my favorite shows, Gilmore Girls, ended last season. I still can't believe it won't be on this fall. I loved that show.

A few new shows look interesting, but I'll wait until I've seen a few episodes before deciding if they've earned my precious TV time.

Lee

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I suspect this might be the last season for a couple of my favorites -- Prison Break and Smallville. I just got Tivo, so I've been busy programming Season Passes so I don't have to be tied to a certain schedule and can watch them faster by skipping the commercials. :)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

TiVo? Trish, I am sooooo jealous. I still tape a lot of stuff with my VCR so I can watch it when it's convenient for me, and so I can fast forward through the commercials. But TiVo sounsd so much more efficient.

Hm. Have you noticed an increasing number of product placements in TV shows? LOL! I wonder if that's because people like us aren't watching the commercials!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

TV--I remember TV. I know I'm missing fabulous stuff, but I've never seen any of the shows that have been mentioned here. Not. One. Episode.

But I agree with Lee: new clothes, fresher weather, and the beginning of school equals the starting point of a new year for me, too.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Terry, I'm very selective about what I watch on TV, and it's not strictly for entertainment. I've learned a lot about character development and storytelling from watching shows that are really well written. There's so much amazing talent out there!

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I watched the finale of Gilmore Girls again last night. I thought it was so good, with the exception of 2 scenes that felt "off."

I'm only trying out a couple of new shows - Bionic Woman, Reaper and Moonlight. For me, Grey's needs to really impress, especially since it's against my favorite, Supernatural, and they moved The Office opposite as well. From what I've read, though, Shonda knows people were MAD last season, so this season should sparkle (though she's blaming the ferry boat instead of Gizzie - ICK).

I heart my TIVO.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

LOL, Mary! You and Trish and your TiVo - I am totally green with envy. It's not at the top of my must-have list, yet, but one day. Soon, I hope!

I completely agree about Grey's, and I'm counting on it to wow me this season. I thought George's friendship with Izzie created tons of conflict between him and Callie. They just didn't need to make him and Izzie . . . well, they just didn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]