site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

Today was a good day

Introduction by Norah Wilson

Today’s blog is a very special one. I have a friend--a Golden Heart finalling, Daphne DuMaurier Award winning, amazing talented writer friend--who recently battled cancer. She’d often said how important it was for writers to take joy in the creative act of writing itself, since we’d be in a sorry spot if we derive all of our writing-related happiness purely from external sources. I asked her if she’d like to blog about this for the Noodlers during Writers Health month. Her initial gut response was something along the lines of Ack! No way! Of course, she kept that reaction to herself until she could give the idea a second and third thought. I’m so pleased to report that she DID write a blog for us, but as you’ll see, the whole experience is still too fresh for first person. Without further ado, here it is:

Once upon a time there was a woman who decided she wanted to write. She wrote and wrote and wrote. For ten years she wrote stories no one wanted to buy. Only her friends read them. Which was okay because she was having a good time, she was learning.

One day her life took a tragic turn. Within the space of a year, she watched three people she loved die. She stopped writing, although her stories were still in her head. And then because carrying the burden of her world demanded a price, she grew seriously ill. She realized to survive, she had to let go of the past. She couldn’t envision a future.

Eventually the woman grew stronger and healthier. She resumed her life but her world was different and she questioned everything. When she thought it might be time to start writing again, she had to ask herself why? Only her friends would likely read what she wrote. The answer, she discovered, is she likes who she is when she writes. Through the act of creation, she is in communion with herself.

There is no happy-ever-after ending to this story. But today, the woman wrote.

Today was a good day.

12 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Blogger Margay Leah Justice said...

This sounds so much like what I went through over the course of the last six years, it could have been written about me. Amazing post, thank you.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Bonnie Vanak said...

Norah, thanks so much for doing this, and please thank your friend for her wonderful, inspiring post. It really brings home the heart of why writers do what they do. I hope she is doing better now.

Your friend is an amazing person, and so are you.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

(((((Margay))))) I'm so glad you came through your experience and are still writing/communing with your soul through writing. My sincerest hope is that many of us can have the same epiphany about our writing--about our lives--without having to wait for a harrowing crisis.

Thanks so much for commenting.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Hi, Bonnie! Thanks for commenting. We're all looking forward to your blog tomorrow. It'll be a great way to end Writer's Health month.

I'm happy to report my friend is doing very well. She's the one who urged me to read up on healthful, anti-cancer, immune boosting foods, and I owe her a huge debt.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

What a great post! Thanks, Norah! I think sometimes we get so caught up in the "have to write what they want to buy - have to make my deadline - have to, have to, have to) that we forget the want to.

I have always said that my WORST day writing is better than my best day at Wal-Mart. At Wal-Mart I make money for other people. At writing I make a story for ME!

Writing is what I do to center myself, to feel like I am STILL a creative person even if my opera career is over.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a lurker, but as one who is engaged in her own battle, I just had to post to say thank you to your friend. She was an angel for me today. This was exaactly the message I needed to hear.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Louisa, I love what you say about writing centering you. And LOL on the worst writing day beating the best Walmart day! I can believe that!

Anonymous, God bless you for coming out of lurk to share. I'm sure all the Noodlers and our readers will be sending healing vibes. I am so glad the message resonated for you.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

...she likes who she is when she writes.

I may never be published, win awards, or do great things in the public eye because of my writing.

But that sentence captures the why of writing as best I've ever heard it. May I borrow it?

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Wonderful post, Norah. Thanks to you and your friend for sharing. I hope she's doing much better and you, too, Margay.

I agree, Patricia. Well said.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

I have to agree with everyone else--great blog, Norah. Your friend spoke truth. Healing wishes to all our readers.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Patricia said:
"...she likes who she is when she writes." :: Snip :: But that sentence captures the why of writing as best I've ever heard it. May I borrow it?

Patricia, my friend says she'd be delighted if you want to use it. She's thrilled and humbled that her message seems to be resonating for so many people.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

My thanks to all the women who show us how to be present and alive, day by day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]