site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Making the Most of the Romantic Gesture

Only three days to Valentine’s and men and women all over America are sweating the big day.

Know why?

It’s the gift.

I have good news for you sweatees out there. You already know what your significant other wants. They want to know you care. They want you to show you care. That’s where the romantic gesture comes in.

In order for the gesture to count, it has to be about the other person, not about you getting something for yourself (although, if you do it right…). I’m not talking about booking a surprise trip to Paris here—the gesture doesn’t have to be that grand. It just has to come from the heart. Here are some possibilities to ponder.

Guys:

Ask her to show you how to properly load a dishwasher, then use the skill. Ditto with folding a towel.

Gals:

Even though it’s his “job” to take out the trash, go ahead and do it yourself (or continue to do it even though it’s his “job”). Do this especially if you nag or argue about it. Ditto his gym bag. Just throw that nasty stuff in the washer and get on with your life. If you’ve ever seen a man change a dirty diaper you know their senses of smell are acute and they can’t handle even the smallest stinky job. Hopefully he’ll be loading the dishwasher and folding the towels, so things should balance out.

Life is a negotiation, sure, but showing the one you love how much you love them should not take international mediation. If you feel good doing it, great. If it makes your loved one feel loved, better. If it creates peace in the household every day, not just Valentine's Day--that's the best.

I know all you romantics out there want to share your favorite romantic gesture--ones you've made and ones you've received. I can't wait to hear!

4 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Terry Odell said...

I think I've already told my Swiss Army Knife story. This year, we're driving to Naples for a short visit with son, daughter-in-law & new grandson while they're there visiting HER mother. We'll have the night alone in a motel.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Love these tips, Karen. You're exactly right! whenever I want my husband to give me more attention, I do things for him that I would want him to do for me and it always ends up coming back to me...sometimes you just have to be patient and never expect too much. :) It works both ways.

Oh, Terry, that will be fun...alone in a motel!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Karen,
A romantic gesture that truly resonates with my husband it to clean the entire house. He always asks who's coming over!

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Karen, this was such a touching post and it really spoke to my current situation.

I've had some major health challenges in the past year and my husband has been there every step of the way, doing laundry, grocery shopping, preparing meals, etc.

I am beyond grateful for his love and support - supremely grand gestures - and I need to thank him that more often than I do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]