site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

ROMANCE - IT'S THE little THINGS THAT COUNT

A good love scene, in my opinion, includes a little banter, a little dialogue, a little teasing, a little temptation…a brush of the fingertips across the face or a light kiss on the neck.

After twenty-two years of marriage, it’s still the little things my husband does that make me love him a little more each day: a meaningful glance, a subtle smile just between the two of us when we’re in a crowded room, a brush of our hands as we pass in the hallway, a kiss goodbye or a hug to say hello. It’s all good. All those little meaningful things can pay off big in the end!

It’s usually the unexpected small things a hero does in a romance book that makes me sigh: the hero bringing the heroine chicken soup when she’s sick, trying to cook for her when he’s never set foot in a kitchen before; helping her take care of her sister’s baby and even going so far as to change a dirty diaper—never mind that babies terrify him.

I’ll never tire of a hero who will carry the heroine over a muddied road or use the jacket right off of his back to cover the puddle in her path to prevent her from ruining her shoes. How about a hero who attempts to sing the heroine’s favorite tune just to cheer her up? I enjoy a beta hero who stands up to the buff and oh-so-handsome lifeguard on the beach after the guy flirts with his girl a little too long. Or the opposite…the tough guy who manages to control his irritation while his girlfriend chats it up with every person in the room; he’s showing control and he’s doing it for her.

What little things does your significant other do that makes you melt?

Or do you remember a scene from a book or a movie where the hero/heroine did something so small, but that left a big impact on you?



pictures: my son Jesse and his girlfriend Andriana making the most of every moment together

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa,
Your mention of chicken soup reminded me of the scene in You Got Mail, when Meg Ryan had a bad cold and was blowing her nose. Didn't he make her a cup of tea?

When my husband and I were first dating, I hurt my back by bending down and twisting to pick up a heavy book. Hey, reading can be dangerous! Anyway, I kept doing whatever I had to do, including hanging curtains, so I became immobile and couldn't drive myself to the clinic. Even though we hadn't been dating long, he offered to drive me and he even attempted to tie my shoes. I say attempted because I yelled at him and told him I could do it myself (yes, displaced anger). He didn't leave. I, of course, apologized later. We laugh about it still.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Perfect example, Mo! That he would bend down to tie your shoes is what I'm talking about! :) I didn't realize you were so mean though...ha!

I hurt my finger stacking would a month ago and every morning my husband would wrap my finger for me. Very sweet of him...

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog Theresa. I agree that it is the little things that are romantic. I have been married for 32 years and my husband does not give me flowers or candy but he always does little things that show he loves me and finds me attractive: he always is aware of where I am and looks at me lovingly, he makes sure that I am warm if it is cold outside, he listens to me and encourages me, he loves just sitting in bed drinking coffee and reading with me, no matter how disheveled I am, he says I am beautiful. So I definitely agree that it is the little things that are important in Romance. Cathy

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theresa, what a great blog. Perfect timing too as I will be married to my wonderful husband 25 years tomorrow. I think it's cute that if I'm not in the same room with him for over an hour he comes to check on me or comes and joins me. Also, when we are watching t.v. together he'll reach out his hand and just wants to hold hands while we're sitting there. Ahhh...romance...it's definitely the little things...

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theresa,
You wrote out what my future man will be like! I only hope he logs onto wet noodle posse to read it! Anyways you said it perfectly and you always do :)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Cathy, Sally, and Morgan! Thanks for stopping by to comment. I'm getting that nice warm fuzzy feeling reading these. Cathy, how nice that he makes sure you're always warm.

And Sally, how wonderful that after all these years he wants to hold your hand while you watch t.v.

Morgan, I'm glad to hear you're keeping a positive attitude about finding the right guy for you!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Sometimes you have to "search" for the little things. Like, my computer-guy husband who makes sure I have the very latest equipment and NEVER grouses at me buying a new computer. Who fixes any computer problem.
And who also dotes on our cats.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

You are a lucky lady, Diane! A guy who buys you new computers without flinching and also dotes on the kitty is a keeper! I do catch my husband talking to our chihuahua when he thinks nobody else can hear him. :)

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Loved this topic, Theresa! Touching hands when you pass in the hall--awww. You're right--those little things matter in a big way.

I'm getting lots of loving attention these days because I'm buried in a book deadline--my husband has been pitching in to shop, cook, and do the dishes. My favorite treat: a cup of tea, fixed just the way I like it.

I've enjoyed everyone's stories--thanks for sharing. Happy anniversary, Sally :-)!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Hi Terry! A nice cup of hot tea...very nice.

And good catch! Happy Anniversary, Sally!!!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Brittany Ragan said...

Loved this! Very cute, and true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]