site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Tips for Surviving March Madness



Last month, Dr. Deb Holland blogged about how to keep romantic relationships thriving. One piece of advice she offered was to “be your best self.” Sometimes that means doing something for the other person, even if you don’t want to, just because you love him or her. If you’re in a long term relationship with an NCAA men's basketball fan, here are some ways you can make the month pass more quickly and be your best self.

Learn the Lingo
March Madness is code for the NCAA Men’s Basketball Playoffs.

A bracket is the breakdown of who plays who. 65 teams get an invitation to play.

The Sweet Sixteen are the top sixteen teams who will compete for the men’s NCAA title.

The Elite Eight are the top eight teams competing for a spot in the Final Four.

The Final Four are the top four teams who survive the regional playoffs.

A Cinderella Team is an underdog team who beats a powerhouse team.

Selection Sunday is the day everyone finds out which teams have been invited to the NCAA tournament. This year Selection Sunday is March 15th.


Know the Basics of the Game
If you don’t know a free throw from a lay up, go to Coaches Clipboard to learn basketball terminology.
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/BasketballTerminology.html


Gamble a Little
Have your own tournament pool with your significant other. Whoever wins gets a foot massage or something equally pleasing.

If You Can’t Beat ‘em, Feed ‘em.
Food is the great pleaser. Why not invite friends over to watch some of the games? Make some game favorites that are easy to eat in front of the TV (subs, chili, chips and dips, cookies, brownies, hot wings, soft drinks and beer). You may score more points with your hubby than North Carolina’s star point guard!



Who do you think will win this year’s tournament? Are you participating in a pool? What are some good tournament watching treats you'd recommend?

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Karen said...

In my family we bleed Kentucky blue, so I always cheer for the Wildcats. I love to watch the Cinderella teams make their way through the tournament, though. Seeing their hoop dreams come true is an inspiration.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Karen,
I always root for LSU, where I went for my undergraduate degree. I also root for the Cinderella teams. The expression on those players faces when they beat a team that is better on paper is priceless!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Mo H, we're an LSU household too. (My hubby played for them.) Plus, my undergrad school, Cornell, only made its first appearance last year. (A return is possible. Go Big Red!)

This year could be Louisville, someone from out West or maybe even LSU. Not sure yet. Gotta watch conference week. (Starts this weekend up to Selection Sunday.)

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Laurel Hawkes said...

Last year, one of the local pro players and the young daughter of one of the local sports broadcasters went up against each other in the picks. The pro, of course, made his picks by the stats and his personal preferences. The kindergarten age (or there abouts) made her choices by mascots and team colors, except for the final winner. She chose her dad's alma mater. She won. :-) I've always been curious, so maybe this year I'll have my own little bet with myself; choosing teams that "should" win versus mascots and fave colors.
~Judy

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Mo and Patricia,

If LSU continues to play the way they did last Saturday against Kentucky you may have a championship team on your hands. They were awesome (and my Wildcats played pretty well, too, just not well enough). I'll be watching the Tigers.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Patricia,
What's your hubby's name? What years did he play? GEAUX TIGERS!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Judy,
Colors and mascots are interesting ways to choose. I've always thought any team with a devil as a mascot was interesting, I may have to try that method of selection as well!

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes love basketball

go DUKE BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO A'S AND GIANTS BASEBALL

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

How cool that your hubby played for LSU!

Our local George Mason University (one mile from me) was one of those Cinderella teams in 2006.

And that is ALL I know about March Madness!
Diane-so-not-in-a-sports-family

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Terry Odell said...

When I was in college, our basketball team never lost a game. (Go Bruins!) Since then, it's just not the same. I'll watch, but the magic isn't there. I can't get used to seeing my team lose. Sigh

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Merrillee said...

I missed yesterday's post because I was playing tennis, not basketball. I root for Wake Forest because our daughter went there. Go Deacs!!!!!
Every year we are in a pool that got started when we lived in Illinois. I think it gets harder each year to make the picks. You never know from night to night which teams will win. I love March Madness. I'm actually a bigger fan than my husband.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Terry,
I think my husband can relate. His team UGA hasn't done well tournament wise in a while. They lost their coach and hadn't been playing well, but then beat Kentucky. Go figure!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Merrillee,
I thought you were a big basketball fan! You'll have to share with us how well you do in your picks!

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love march madness

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Mo, my husband is Bernard Woodside. He played from '85 to '88. He was on the '86 Final Four team.

He and my boys are sitting behind the bench at the LSU game in Tampa right this minute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]