site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weird Beer, and It Isn’t All Green

Green beer, anyone?

No, thanks.

This artificial shade of green might be a festive way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, but it sure doesn’t appeal to me. Maybe because it only works with pale watery beers and, green or not, those don’t appeal to me, either.

These days, lots of small micro-breweries are experimenting with unique brews that incorporate some unexpected ingredients, with surprisingly delicious results. And not a pale watery one among them. Here are a couple of my favorites.


Raspberry Wheat Ale
I’ll take pink over green any day! Served cold, this is a refreshing summer sipper. Set out some frosty glasses and a plate of cheese and fruit, invite some friends, and you have an instant patio party.

Double Chocolate Porter
Chocolate beer? Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it! This one’s really astonishingly good. Rich and mild, with a distinctive chocolate flavor. A perfect after-dinner drink to enjoy in front of the fire.

Nut Brown Ale
I’ve tasted several varieties of this, including one made with hazelnuts. Delicious! Goes well with full-flavored foods, like a rich pot of stew or roast chicken.

With St. Patrick’s Day coming up next week, I can’t let you go without a small sampling of “green” beer.

Frog green.

From the Dead Frog Brewery near Vancouver, BC.

Why would anyone open a brewery and call it Dead Frog? According to their website, “Our name might be funny, but we are very serious when it comes to brewing.” And who could resist their advertising slogans?

There’s more hops in a dead frog.

Nothing goes down like a cold dead frog.

Would you like flies with that?


Fun and catchy!

What's your favorite brew? Any suggestions for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day?

Cheers!
Lee

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Terry Odell said...

Having discovered (a good number of years ago) the Odell Brewing Company in Fort Collins Colorado, I'll go with all their microbrews. We always end up there when we visit our kids in Colorado Springs. They do a very nice 'sampler' tasting at the brewery.

And no, we're not related.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Sample tasting is fun! I would never have tried raspberry wheat beer if I'd had to order a whole glass.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

There's a micro-brewery near my home town in Louisiana--Abita Beer. My brother likes their Turbo Dog (dark brown ale with a chocolate toffee flavor), my mother likes Purple Haze (raspberry wheat), I like their seasonal Bock beer. Next time I visit, I plan to try Andygator and Pecan!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Dianna Love said...

I think Dead Frog is the perfect name for beer. I can see that selling to guys just because of the name. The more disgusting sounding, the better for most of them when they hang out with other guys. "g" Too funny. My husband loves to try micro-brewery beers or anything different when he's away from home.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

I love the Dead Frog slogans! Too funny.

I took a spur of the moment road trip with a couple of my former students to New Orleans one time. One of them tried something called Voodoo Beer. It is jet black and smells disgusting. But it MUST pack a punch because this 26 year old kid went down like a ton of bricks an hour later. We still tease him about it.

I don't drink at all. Never have. Conscious decision on my part as my Dad's family were all alcoholics and my Mom's family were all Native Americans. That's too many bullets in the gun for me to play Russian roulette with my addictive personality!

I am, however, one heck of a bartender. I am told I make a killer Tequila Sunrise and an amazing White Russian.

My brothers will have a beer every now and then, but it is always a Guinness.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

LOL, Mo! Love the names, especially Purple Haze!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Good point, Dianna! I'll bet drinking Dead Frogs does appeal to guys!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Louisa, sounds like you've made a very sensible decision.

I'm a terrible bartender, probably because there aren't many drinks I actually like. I will have the occasional cosmopolitan, because there's enough other stuff in it to cover the taste of the alcohol.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

I have to admit, I've never been tempted to take a second sip of beer after the first. I just don't like it. Perhaps if my first sip had been a raspberry or chocolate beer, I'd have been more willing to give it another try :-).

However, I'm a big fan of recipes that call for beer--soups and sauces, mostly. I'm always on the lookout for another one!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

Beer is definitely not everyone's "cup of tea," Terry ;)

But you've given me an idea for my Friday Food for Thought posts on The Writer Side of Life. Watch for those recipes in April!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]