site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, March 06, 2009

Q&A Friday


What's your favorite movie featuring Irish characters?

I have two favorites. One is the John Ford classic The Quiet Man, with actors Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne. The romance is fabulous, the scenery gorgeous, and the humor still resonates today.





Another favorite is The Secret of Roan Inish, an enchanting story about a young girl who is sent to live with her grandparents on the Irish seacoast after the death of her mother. While living there, she's told various legends, including those about the Selkies, seals who transform into humans.





If you're looking for some great reading this month, don't miss the new releases from Colleen Gleason and MJ Fredrick:


As Shadows Fade

The Gardella Vampire Chronicles (5th in the series)
By Colleen Gleason
Directly descended from the very first vampire hunter in the Gardella family, Victoria knows she must continue the lineage so humanity will have protectors against the undead.While Sebastian Vioget appears to be both the perfect warrior and lover to ensure the Gardella Legacy, Victoria cannot forget Max Pesaro - the former slayer still haunted by the vampire queen Lilith's obsession with him.But it is Lilith's obsession that may save all of humanity. Demons, enemies of both mortals and the undead, have found their way to earth. To defeat them, vampires and slayers must fight side by side. But Lilith wants Max in return for her cooperation ‐ a small price for the world, but too high a price for Victoria.


Into the Hunt: Unauthorized Essays on Supernatural
Essay about Supernatural’s real star, the 1967 Impala
MJ Fredrick
A relative newcomer to the paranormal-teen drama scene, the hit TV show Supernatural has already developed a rabid and deeply committed fan base since its debut in the fall of 2005. When their dad mysteriously disappears, brothers Dean and Sam Winchester join forces to bring him home and are pulled headlong into the world he knew best—one full of demons, spirits, monsters, and ghouls. Featuring essays from three lucky fans as well as leading writers and pop culture experts, this insightful anthology sheds light on a variety of issues, including why such a male-centric show has such a large female fan base, “Wincest” and homoeroticism, how Supernatural can be interpreted as a modern-day Brothers Grimm, and the questionable nature of John Winchester’s parenting habits.

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh! Oh! P. S. I Love You stars Gerard Butler (who's Scottish) as the cute Irish guy who's always singing, who dies and leaves a bereft Hilary Swank behind. Some of the scenes are filmed in Ireland and it's beautiful! The sound track is wonderful, too. A bunch of Irish bands I never heard of, but they're great!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Karen,
I saw that movie! It was great but sad.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Merrillee said...

I love the movie Ned Devine. It is a hoot with a lot of quirky Irishmen.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Merrillee,
I haven't seen that movie. I'll have to put it in my qeue!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Dianna Love said...

The only one that comes to mind right now is MY LEFT FOOT. I like to see movie suggestion posts - my husband and I watch movies all the time and like to see older ones too.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

I LURRRVE PS I LOVE YOU. One I love is called The Matchmaker with Janeane Garafalo. Dennis Leary is in it, and I don't know who played the hero, but it was very sweet and romantic.

There was a Mia Farrow movie called The Widows or something that my grandmother and I enjoyed.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Lee McKenzie said...

The Commitments is a great film, set in Dublin, about a group of unemployed musicians who form a band. Wonderful soundtrack, too.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Karen, Mary, I love PS I Love You, too. I think it should all have been set in Ireland.

The Quiet Man is a classic.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

THE COMMITMENTS!!!! LOVE that movie! Forgot about it entirely. The boy used to love the music when he was a baby, but we had to hide the video when he started talking---they drop the f-bomb a lot.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Dianna,
My Left Foot was fabulous. I like anything starring Daniel Day Lewis!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Mary,
I've seen The Matchmaker. It was really good. I need to rent that for my daughter. She'd love it,too!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Mo H said...

Lee and Mary,
I'll have to add The Commitments to my DVD viewing list. Thanks for the suggestion!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]