site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

My dad the romance novel aficionado

This month we’re celebrating dads— in movies, in writing, in life in general. As for me, I couldn’t be happier to tell you a little bit about my dad. The hero of my youth, and one of my adult heroes, too. And probably not for a reason you’d normally consider when thinking about fathers.

My dad is a unique gentleman. He’s the one who introduced me to romance novels.

Picture this: a teenager, stuck in a hurricane shelter in the Florida Keys, bored out of her mind when her father offers her one of the numerous Harlequin Romances he brought for their stay. Or this: giving your dad a hug good-bye as you head off for school and he heads off for work, a romance novel tucked into one of his back pockets to enjoy during his breaks. Or this scenario: a car full of family members headed from Florida to Texas for a family reunion, turning around and driving back home 15 minutes into the trip because your dad forgot his reading glasses and he has a stack of romance novels waiting to be read during his vacation. And another of my favorites: my dad opening the tailgate of his truck to show you the paper bags full of romance novels he rescued from the friendly, book-give-away lady at the hospital who had planned on trashing them all, my dad smiling like he’d hit the jackpot.

Like I said, he’s a unique man.

He’s one of my biggest fans, though not one of my manuscript critiquers. In his mind, my books rock, and should be found on the shelves of every bookstore across the globe. That doesn’t bode well when you need someone willing to point out any mistakes. In dad’s eyes, my books don’t have any mistakes. Did I already mention he’s one of my biggest fans? A voice of encouragement no matter what.

My dad is one of those voters who skew the Harlequin surveys many writers have long bemoaned. If there’s a baby, a cowboy or a bride on the cover, he’s buying it! If not, he’s probably buying it anyway. :-)

I think my dad loves romance novels because to depths of his soul, he believes that man deserves to be happy. That family is important, and should stand by you in good times and bad. That love conquers and is enduring. That crappy things happen, but you can always rely on your family to be there. That when all is said and done, you should be able to come home and know that you’re loved and accepted for who you are.

That’s the epitome, the essence, of romance novels. The epitome, the essence ,of my dad. A hero in my eyes, always.

Is there a close male relative—dad, uncle, brother—who has touched your life in a positive way like my dad has touched mine? I’d love to hear about him.

14 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

What a great guy! Your Dad sounds like a real doll AND a real man!!

My Dad never read romance novels, but I think he really believed in the power of romance.

He also believed that I could do ANYTHING I set my mind to and he told me that all the time.

He believed in the power of believing. I mean, how many men do you know who would come home from a year in Germany with an engagement ring and a set of silverware engraved with the initials of a girl he has never met and travel from Pennsylvania to Alabama to propose to her?

My Dad worked with my Mom's brothers in Germany (Air Force) and he saw her picture one day and said "Who is that pretty girl?" The brothers said "That's no girl. That's our sister!" Long story short he asked to write to her and she wrote back. They wrote to each other for over a year before he came home. When he got to Alabama (May 4th) he visited her at her Mom's house. Mom and Dad had one date and they got married May 11th. Yes, they met and married in the space of one week!! And they were married for 40 years before that great big romantic heart of his gave out. He bought her a ring every Christmas, sent her roses on her birthday, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day and their anniversary and on each of us kids' birthdays with a thank you note for the child whose birthday it was.

Any wonder I write romance and believe in its power? The romance of the written word is the whole reason I'm here!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

Very touching post. Your father sounds like a wonderful guy. But, I have to admit, it was a little bittersweet for me though because my father passed away on the 16th of March. He had a swift but very painful bout with melanoma.

I think of him often, and always with a smile.

Im exciting about being here tomorrow!!

~Caroline

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Judy said...

Prisakiss, how very blessed you are! Your dad sounds wonderful.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Caroline, thanks for being willing to join us during our father discussion. This has to be a painful time for you. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Louisa, your dad sounds like an amazing man. Seems like you and I were/are lucky enough to have awesome male role models in our lives. I agree with you that seeing true love modeled in my home has fired my passion for romance novels and the belief that true love can prevail

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

My condolences, Caroline. I lost my Dad 11 years ago and it still hurts. But I hear his voice in my head so often it is almost like he never left.

"Don't let the bastards get you, girl. Remember success is the best revenge."

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Kieran Kramer said...

Dear Priscilla,

Your dad is awesome!!!!!

My husband is a big supporter of mine. He loves to listen to my plots.

Here's to all supportive males everywhere!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Vanessa Modestti said...

Pirscilla, I loved it! This is really Joe!!!! I'm taking some books for him for our trip and I can see him with the book in his back pocket (like I've seen him a million times) walking all over Europe!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Yes, Vanessa. That'll be my dad in Spain: the handsome latino sitting at the corner cafe/bar, sipping a cold drink and enjoying his romance novel.

Louisa, it's funny how you say you can still hear your dad's voice in your head. There are times I hear my dad's too, as well as my mom's. Good parenting-- with love, a firm hand, and unconditional support.

Like Kieran said, here's to supportive males around the world!

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Victoria Bromley said...

Hey, Pris, From what I know of your dad, he's adorable! Mine passed in 1988 and I miss him more every day. I have his nose and long fingers and every time I look in the mirror and look at my hands, I know he lives on in me. He gave me his big feet, too, LOL, but, that's okay because those size 11's have helped me walk proud and grow in life. Every year on his birthday (June) and the anniversary of his death (May) my brother and I have a marathon phone session about how wonderful he was and how much we miss him.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

wow, Pris, I had chills while i was reading about your Dad! You are a very very lucky woman to have such a fabulous dad. What a neat guy!

And Louisa, your father was SO romantic. Love this story, too.

Caroline, very sorry about your father. Sounds like he'll be in your heart forever though.

Ditto what Kieran said..."Cheers to great supportive Dads everywhere."

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Thanks to all who shared their stories today, or dropped by to leave a note (especially the complimentary ones about my dear dad-- grin).

I can't wait to see what the rest of the month has to bring as we continue to celebrate the men who serve as our heroic models!

Take care!

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Mig Hettler said...

Pris, what a beautiful and accurate description of your dad, also my hero for almost 43 years!

I also believe that your manuscripts need to be published and shared with the whole world!

We are very proud of you and your work!

Your #1 fan, LOVE YOU LOTS!

MOM

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pris, I love the way you described dad and his love for romance novels. You definitely have a way with words and your tribute to dad was perfect. We have truly been blessed to have him as our dad and I too agree that he has been such a positive influence in our lives on so many different levels. I too have seen your work and have no doubt that you WILL be published!!! love you sis, Jackie K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]