site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Taking a Break

I have been writing for over fourteen years. I have written nine full length novels and too many partials to count. I have finaled in and won contests. I have six golden hearts to show for my hard work and progress. But the biggest prize of all…the publishing prize…still eludes me. Am I bitter? No. I am more determined than ever to become a published romance author. But recently, what I realized I needed, more than anything else, was a break. And I’m not talking about a long walk, a day at the mall or even a vacation. What I needed is/was a few months away from reading and writing romance novels. So, I decided to take a break and do something different. I registered for a Spanish class at a local junior college. And guess what? I like it. I like it a lot. I am studying everyday. I am also making jewelry as a creative outlet, and writing blogs, and visiting with my kids, and playing the piano. I’m spending time with my husband, too. I am having fun. It wasn’t easy taking a break from writing at first. I didn’t feel whole any longer. Who am I if not a writer? Stories still call to me but I’ve been ignoring the voices. The stories in my head will have to wait until I’m ready.

How about you? Do you need a break? What’s the longest break you’ve taken away from something you love to do? Did you feel refreshed afterward?

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Christine said...

I'm glad you are taking a well-deserved break. Sometimes it is in these down times that we discover what the next step will be in our lives. I have given myself 10 years, 7 books before I back off and step away from writing if I am NOT published. But, even if I do reach that elusive goal, I believe mini breaks are necessary to refuel.

When I am in between books and projects, I play with my friends and travel. If I were to take a longer break, I believe I'd recharge by scrapbooking and doing other creative things like you are doing: learning a language, making jewelry, painting.

I wish a happy break!

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Oh-I would step away, but I would step back again after a long break.

I can't imagine NOT writing. It's in my blood.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Mo H said...

Theresa,
I periodically take breaks. I don't write while on vacation. I read. I take breaks during my daughter's ballet productions, too. Sometimes we need to refill the creative well.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Hi Christine and Mo! Yes, I am refilling the creative well. That's exactly what I am doing.

And Christine, I agree, I cannot imagine NOT writing for too long. It's the strangest feeling when you force yourself NOT to write. We're writers. It's what we do!!

Thanks for stopping by you two!

Hugs!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Good for you! And your newly-infused with fun spirit will invade your writing when you return. Sometimes taking a break is just the thing, if only to enjoy the life you're living now.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Theresa, sometimes our brains do need that time away, time to indulge other interests because they always get pushed to the back burner when we're focusing on writing. As you know, I took a 3- to 4-month break in 2006 when I'd just burned totally to a crisp. But I came back from that break rejuvenated and sold a year later. I hope you continue to enjoy your time off and come back rejuvenated when you're ready.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Theresa, I always love hearing about your adventures. Leave it to you to take such a wonderful "break" :-).

I've chosen jobs and careers that don't fit any routine, and I like it that way. Sometimes it seems I go out of my way to shake things up...so taking an occasional break fits right in with my "schedule" ;-).

Sometimes it's the detours in life that are the most rewarding :-).

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

Way to go, Theresa! You never fail when you take good care of yourself. Enjoy it! You'll be back stronger than ever.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Patricia, Trish, and Terry, THANKS so much for the encouraging words. This is why I love the Wet Noodle Posse! And yes, I plan to get back to writing rejuvinated and ready to take on the publishing world! ha! And maybe I'll sell within a year of taking my BIG break!

Thanks!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Diane, we must have hit send at the same time! Thank you so much for the encouragement!!! Hugs!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Diane Gaston said...

great minds think alike, Theresa!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]