site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fall favorites

This month we're celebrating changes, "turns, turns, turns". For this Florida girl who's been transplanted to the Midwest, this time of year isn't exactly my favorite, weather-wise. I live for the first warm days of spring and the dogdays of summer. Funny though, my favorite holiday is a winter one--Christmas-- but while I think a white Christmas is pretty, I wouldn't mind if the temp rose on Dec. 26th. :-)

As I sit at my kitchen table typing, wearing fleece, a thick robe, and warm socks (still shivering) I'm wondering how why we bypassed autumn and jumped right into winter. Does that mean spring will come earlier, too? Somehow I doubt it.

While we don't see many leaves changing in central & south Florida, I've come to appreciate the beauty of fall leaves and their glorious new wardrobe here in the Midwest. I'll actually miss it if the dreary weather keeps up and the leaves don't get the sun the weatherman tells me is needed for those beautiful colors to appear.

My favorite part of fall is probably the celebrations (homecoming for my high school daughters, costumes for Halloween, family gatherings for Thanksgiving) and knowing that soon the Christmas season will arrive when I'll be baking, shopping for others, and anticipating spending quality time with family and friends. Forget the cold winter weather, a Christmas on the beach in Florida sounds lovely, much better than goosebumps and chills. But really, if family is together having a good time, I guess I wouldn't mind being a little cold, as long as there's plenty of hot chocolate with marshmallows. :-)

How about you? Care to share what gets your groove on as your favorite part of fall?

8 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger Judy said...

I had to smile as I read about your lament of already dealing with winter. It's mid October here, and we're expecting triple digits this weekend. What is up with that? I've lived here all my life, and yes, I know this happens, often. The only real fall colors I enjoy are pictures. We have an apple tree whose leaves will turn yellow about January and drop as the new leaves are coming on in February. So I have autumn themes on my computer, and pictures of the gorgeous fall colors that I sigh over. It is cooling off, at night. The temps are actually down in the 70s and 60s. What a pleasure to go out first thing in the morning and feel the slightest nip in the air. (Hey! It's nippy compared to the 90s just a month ago!) :-)

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Hi Pris! I do love the beautiful fall colors of the leaves.

I do love the warm weather, but I am learning to love the freshness of everything after a good rain. I do like snuggling up in a warm robe by the fire, too. Hot chocolate with marshmallows sounds wonderful! Let's all have a great winter!

And Pris, how is school going? Are you finished?

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Wow, Judy! triple digits! That's crazy. My windows are open here in California (Sacramento area) but there is a slight chill coming through the house.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Judy said...

*I will not be jealous. I will not be jealous. I will not be jealous.* Okay, Theresa, I'm jealous. :-) I was in L.A. only a few weeks ago, and it was beautiful. I stepped off the plane back home and felt like my lungs were scorched with my first breath, going from 60 to 90 degrees.

Ah, yes, school is definitely a fall set of mind.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Judy, triple digits sound heavenly to me right now. :-) Our heater went out and they can't come replace it until Monday. It's 58 degrees in my house right now unless I'm sitting in front of a space heater. Not fun. :-/

Theresa, I'll think of you the next time I'm sipping on a cup of hot chocolate. I'll even throw in an extra marshmallow or two to enjoy for you. :-)

I'm still in school-- taking a full load of classes this semester so I can finish my masters and graduate in May.

I'm looking forward to new opportunities with the degree, and having writing time in the evenings/early mornings again.

One of my new fall favorites? The heating and cooling company van sitting in my driveway, with the repairman installing my new furnace in the basement. :-)

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Judy said...

Eep! Pris! Burrrrr! More layers!

May graduation, close enough to see but too far away to really feel real. Good for you!!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Pris, you had me at the hot chocolate and marshmallows. Mmmmm :-).

I love that fresh fall feeling Theresa mentioned and the anticipation of the holidays.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Prisakiss said...

Terry,

Pretty much anything chocolate, and I'm willing to give it a taste. :-)

Wintertime my girls like to make hot chocolate by heating up a coffe mug of skim milk in the microwave, add a bit of fat-free french vanilla and fat-free hazelnut creamer, then some chocolate syrup, stir and enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]