site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Random Thoughts

I spent the better part of the month of December in bed with a back problem. The majority of that time I was on some pretty powerful muscle relaxing and pain killing drugs. One of my physical therapists (there are three of them) calls this "better living through chemistry."

During that time I was able to apply my brain to the state of the world, and I came up with the following conclusions:

People have lost all common sense, and daytime television sucks.

I have to admit that I’m not too much of a tv watcher. When I heard friends talk about how they just couldn’t miss "Buffy" or "Alias" or "Sex in the City" I was amazed, as sitting in front of a box for extended periods of time (or sitting anywhere for extended periods of time, for that matter), doesn’t interest me. I like to keep moving.

Let me throw in a disclaimer here: I had bronchitis last January (2005 was not a stellar health year for me) and I got hooked on CSI: Las Vegas. I watched re-runs of that program almost every day until I stripped down to all but a basic cable package—partly because of the price but mostly because I was watching way too much CSI.

I have come away from my recent viewing experiences with one burning question… What the heck are people thinking?????

Have you watched these shows? The Judge Judy, Hatchet, Joe Brown pseudo-courtrooms where the segments are a neat 15 minutes long (Andy Warhol would be so proud), or the Jerry Springer type shows (Which of these twelve men are the fathers of my six children?--DNA, get your free DNA tests right here!). The sitcoms are peopled with incredibly shallow characters. Even the so-called news shows are rife with speculation and inaccurate reporting. I’ve heard enough about the Jen/Brad/Angelina triangle to last a lifetime.

Don’t get me wrong…I do think tv has some value. It provides me handy weather reports and tells me which roads to avoid on my way to work. During my confinement it kept me up to date on the Happy Holidays versus Merry Christmas debate. I now know that the Orlando Magic can’t win a game unless they’re wearing their white pinstripe uniforms (which precludes road wins, unfortunately).

I’m thankful, too, for my neighbor, who has an awesome DVD collection, which she was willing to loan, and for Netflix, which provided me with some excellent filler.

Except for "Van Helsing." Oh dear, don’t get me started…

Happy New Year!

Karen

4 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

I, too, feel left out when other people talk about their favorite shows. I've never seen so much as a minute of Buffy, Lost, Desperate Housewives, CSI, Law & Order, 24, etc. I used to have a good excuse--for years we only got 2.5 channels, and NBC was ghostly and green.

I thought things would change when we got our satellite dish, and they did--now I spend more time scrolling through dozens of channels before I give up and walk away. My new faves are the House & Garden network and the History channel, but even these fail to keep me glued to the screen for too long.

Sometimes I wonder if TV isn't interactive enough to hold me in its thrall. Maybe I've become too accustomed to controlling my own stories. Or maybe I get antsy because I can't e-mail the characters on the screen.

Click!

Terry

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger bridget said...

How awful to be stuck in the proverbial "bed of pain" with no one but serial adulterers and adultery serials for company! Thank heaven for your neighbor and Netflix...maybe you can start a WNP movie review corner. I hope you keep feeling better and better.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

At least Van Helsing had good eye candy ;)

I loooove TV - Sex and the City, Law and Order, Lost, Alias, Buffy, Angel, The Office is a new favorite, as is My Name is Earl. Can't wait for 24 to start next week. To me, TV and movies beat valium hands down.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I have to admit I love TV too, especially after a hard day of working when I just want to sit and not do anything. I love LOST, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, and Survivor. Also like a lot of things I see on HGTV, The History Channel, Discovery, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]