site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Library Booksignings

So, I read Steph's post & adored it & got all mushy & for my post today I typed this eloquent and, a bit weepy, post. Then I deleted it. Why? Because that's not the kind of post I want to make today.

Why? Because I had a fabulous book signing today that I wasn't expecting to be fabulous because let's face it, it's been 7 months since my book came out & most of the people who are going to buy a copy of my book probably already have. Oh, & when I got there, I discovered I was supposed to give a talk prior to the booksigning---a talk that I sure hadn't prepared for since I must have mentally blocked that little piece of info out of my head. BUT I had my first library signing and it was WONDERFUL. The library itself was fabulous & a place I'd happily move into and likely never be bored, but it was the people there. The librarians and the workers were so gracious that they made the event for me. They'd advertized the event in several local papers and the turnout was good. & the talk, well, it went okay with a minimal of uhms & ands (yes, I mentally winced & heard my Toastmaster trained husband fuss every time I heard one come out). The group asked lots of questions & I actually enjoyed it.

I also went to the writers group that meets there twice a month. What a great resource that I had no clue existed until plans for the booksigning were being made.

The part that struck me most was that prior to my book coming out I never would have thought about going to a library for a booksigning. I made the rounds & introduced myself to bookstores, but not libraries. Ladies, libraries are our friends and they love books! I've done a few bookstore signings and they were fun, but there was no comparison to the one at the library today. If, as authors, you aren't going by your libraries, do so now.

5 Comments:

At 2:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Janice! Sounds like a great booksigning - good on you! I never thought of checking out my local libraries but I certainly will be doing that in future. And I wish I'd been there to hear your talk. I bet it was great, despite your worries about the ums. Great improvisation!

Trish Mo

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

I love the library, Janice. So glad you had such a positive experience. I recently went to a book signing at our local library for Brenda Novak and Allison Brennan and you're right, it's a great atmosphere with great people. Good advice for authors.

Theresa

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

That's cool. Glad it went well. I would have driven over except I was in Wisconsin. :)

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger bridget said...

Janice, you rock for many reasons, but this time it's for keeping a cool head and doing that impromptu presentation. Did you see that BBC video of the guy who came in for a low-man-on-totem-pole job at the BBC and ended up being mistaken for a visiting expert and getting interviewed on a live TV show by accident? He kept his head, too.

And yay for the great experience!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Be Inspired Always said...

I'm glad you had such a positive experience with the booksigning. I'm a fellow author, so I know first hand about the nerves and excitement of an event like that.


Be Inspired Always,
Jillian M. Curtis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]